WHS - PP2 - Internal & External connection Issues RRS feed

• Question

• For the last 2 months I've been dealing with problems trying to get my homeserver out on the internet. Issues have been between my former Router, my former hub provided by my carrier and now my new combined (router/hub) homeport replacing both with one component. My new homeport (2wire) was not capable of automatically opening required ports (UPnP) but was able to go in and manually address ports. I have spent a lot of time trading emails with a 2Wire tech who was a lot of help. Through weeks of frustration of doing the same steps over and over, rebooting my server and homeport numerous times I finally shut down and left it off for several days. Upon starting back up 2 days later everything worked as it was suppose too. After a couple of weeks of flawless operation I was surprised to find it again was no longer excessible over the internet. After repeating all the same steps as I had in the past, and again with no success, shutting it down for a couple of days and starting it up again, this time I was unsuccessful. I left my server on and about a week later it again was accessible from the internet, except from home. I can access the server internally at home via the console, and externally over the internet away from home. I was once able to access it either way from home.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 3:24 AM

Answers

• Cheaper routers often do not support loopback access from your home via Internet to your home.
    If you don't get access from outside, one of the following things could have happened:
    Your server is down or in Standby/Hibernate.
    Your server could have gotten another IP address via DHCP from your router, so that port forwarding no longer matched the real address. Ping the server by it's short name to check, if this is the case (or check the Remote Access settings in the console).

Your server could not register the updated routers external address at the homeserver.com dynamic DNS service. You could check this via console on the Remote Access tab within Settings or you can make following test:
    Open a command prompt.
    Enter the command ping servername.homeserver.com (replace servername with the name you reserved).
    Check, if the IP address pinged is identical with the address your router shows as external interface address.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:48 AM

All replies

• Cheaper routers often do not support loopback access from your home via Internet to your home.
    If you don't get access from outside, one of the following things could have happened:
    Your server is down or in Standby/Hibernate.
    Your server could have gotten another IP address via DHCP from your router, so that port forwarding no longer matched the real address. Ping the server by it's short name to check, if this is the case (or check the Remote Access settings in the console).

Your server could not register the updated routers external address at the homeserver.com dynamic DNS service. You could check this via console on the Remote Access tab within Settings or you can make following test:
    Open a command prompt.
    Enter the command ping servername.homeserver.com (replace servername with the name you reserved).
    Check, if the IP address pinged is identical with the address your router shows as external interface address.

Olaf

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:48 AM
  • Thank you Olaf for your response. I am able to access my server away from my home. I am able to access my server via the control console from my home. I cannot access my server at home via the internet. I did try your last solution "Enter the command ping servername.homeserver.com (replace servername with the name you reserved)" and it came back the same as my website IP address. I am uncertain of your other solutions, but will try them tomorrow.
    Thank you again, I will respond hopefully tomorrow.
    Greg "Brokebenny"
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 3:10 AM
  • Hi,
    that you cannot access your server at home via Internet, but from other locations, is exactly what I said, the loopback not functioning with your router.
    To work around this, you can try to use the syntax
    http://server
    using the local server name. This will issue a certificate warning, but allow you to access the web interface of the server from within your home. (Why do you want to use the website at home, anyway?)
    Olaf
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:25 AM