Windows key no longer "genuine" RRS feed

• Question

• Just had new laptop for little over a month; mcafee installed an update and asked to reboot.  Key is now no longer valid.  I managed to uninstall Mcafee, but it looks like that was not the issue.  I ran the diagnostic tool and got the following error report:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0062.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Validation Code: 50
    Online Validation Code: 0xc004c4a8
    Cached Validation Code: 0xc004c4a8
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-F4GJK-KG77H-B9HD2
    Windows Product Key Hash: iJAth4TbScMi8HdcPurlASXdEkw=
    Windows Product ID: 89578-OEM-7332157-00204
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6000.2.00010300.0.0.000
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {BBA66ADB-858E-4FBF-8275-3724D462C1AC}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6000.vista_gdr.070627-1500
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    Grace Flag: 0x0
    Commit: N/A, hr = 0xc004f012
    Reboot Flag: 0x0
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0xc004f012
    Wgaer.exe Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Wgaer.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2968-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{BBA66ADB-858E-4FBF-8275-3724D462C1AC}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0062.0</Version><OS>6.0.6000.2.00010300.0.0.000</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-B9HD2</PKey><PID>89578-OEM-7332157-00204</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3976273677-4248078553-2859351336</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>XPS M1330                       </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>A05</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20070726000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>E3323507018400FA</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>DELL  </OEMID><OEMTableID>M08    </OEMTableID></OEM><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Thursday, October 11, 2007 1:27 AM

Answers

• Error message when you try to activate Windows Vista: "An error has occurred" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931276

Thursday, October 11, 2007 6:34 PM
  • Hi EShen,

Please follow the below steps and inform me if the issue was resolved:

(If you access to the start button)

1) Click the Start button

2) Type cmd in the Start Search field

3) At the top the Start window, you will see cmd.exe

4) Right Click cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: cscript %windir%\System32\slmgr.vbs /ilc %windir%\System32\licensing\ppdlic\Security-Licensing-SLC-ppdlic.xrm-ms

6) Hit the Enter key

7) Reboot 2 times

(If you Do Not access to the start button)

1) Click the option Access computer with reduced functionality

2) A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field

3) Find the file cmd.exe

4) Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: cscript %windir%\System32\slmgr.vbs /ilc %windir%\System32\licensing\ppdlic\Security-Licensing-SLC-ppdlic.xrm-ms

6) Hit the Enter key

7) Reboot 2 times 

If these steps do not resolve your issue, please see below:

Computers that are built by large manufactures (such as Dell and HP) that have Vista pre-installed have 2 product keys. The product key that is installed in Vista straght from the factory (called: OEM SLP)  and a product key that is on the sticker on the bottom of the computer (called: COA SLP)

When Vista was installed on your computer at the factory, the OEM SLP key was entered. At that time, Vista looks at the key and then looks for Dell specific information on the bios. If the key and the bios info "Match up" then Vista activates on it's own.  This is why this issue is so strange, because OEM SLP keys can not be activated thru the normal "online or by phone activation process". and the fact that pre-installed Vista is asking for Activation when running on a Dell laptop with a OEM SLP key, should not happen.

Below are a few options that I can provide for you. I suggest trying step 1, then if that does not work, try the 2 and so on:

1) Try to change product key to the COA SLP key (the one on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop). Once you change the key over to the COA SLP key, you will need to activate by using the Activate by Phone method.

2) Use the Windows Restore CD (or Windows restore partition on the hard drive) to restore you Vista back to the way it was when it came from the factory.

3) Contact Dell for further support.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, October 11, 2007 6:51 PM
  •  

Hi Darin,

Tried both, but did not work.  I get a different error when I try to run cscript %windir%\System32\slmgr.vbs /ilc %windir%\System32\licensing\ppdlic\Security-Licensing-SLC-ppdlic.xrm-ms. Will probably do a system restore.

Thursday, October 11, 2007 10:39 PM

All replies

•  

You can reset your Windows Vista activation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation.

5.  Once completed, restart your computer.

Thursday, October 11, 2007 2:13 AM
  • When I run slui.exe 4 i get another error screen that says:

A problem occurred when Windows tried to activate. Error Code 0xC004E003.
    Thursday, October 11, 2007 4:33 AM
  • Error message when you try to activate Windows Vista: "An error has occurred" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931276

Thursday, October 11, 2007 6:34 PM
  • Hi EShen,

Please follow the below steps and inform me if the issue was resolved:

(If you access to the start button)

1) Click the Start button

2) Type cmd in the Start Search field

3) At the top the Start window, you will see cmd.exe

4) Right Click cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

6) Hit the Enter key

7) Reboot 2 times

(If you Do Not access to the start button)

1) Click the option Access computer with reduced functionality

2) A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field

3) Find the file cmd.exe

4) Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

6) Hit the Enter key

7) Reboot 2 times 

If these steps do not resolve your issue, please see below:

Computers that are built by large manufactures (such as Dell and HP) that have Vista pre-installed have 2 product keys. The product key that is installed in Vista straght from the factory (called: OEM SLP)  and a product key that is on the sticker on the bottom of the computer (called: COA SLP)

When Vista was installed on your computer at the factory, the OEM SLP key was entered. At that time, Vista looks at the key and then looks for Dell specific information on the bios. If the key and the bios info "Match up" then Vista activates on it's own.  This is why this issue is so strange, because OEM SLP keys can not be activated thru the normal "online or by phone activation process". and the fact that pre-installed Vista is asking for Activation when running on a Dell laptop with a OEM SLP key, should not happen.

Below are a few options that I can provide for you. I suggest trying step 1, then if that does not work, try the 2 and so on:

1) Try to change product key to the COA SLP key (the one on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop). Once you change the key over to the COA SLP key, you will need to activate by using the Activate by Phone method.

2) Use the Windows Restore CD (or Windows restore partition on the hard drive) to restore you Vista back to the way it was when it came from the factory.

3) Contact Dell for further support.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, October 11, 2007 6:51 PM
  •  

Hi Darin,

I actually tried both of the ideas above (after reading through some other forum posts) to no avail.  I get the same error as i mentioned above when I try to use the key on the bottom of the laptop. 

I get a different error when i run cscript %windir%\System32\slmgr.vbs /ilc.I don't have my laptop with me right now, so I can't post the exact message, but maybe I can do so later, but most likely i will go with a full windows restore after I backup my files.

-Eric

Thursday, October 11, 2007 10:37 PM
  •  

Hi Darin,

Tried both, but did not work.  I get a different error when I try to run cscript %windir%\System32\slmgr.vbs /ilc %windir%\System32\licensing\ppdlic\Security-Licensing-SLC-ppdlic.xrm-ms. Will probably do a system restore.

Thursday, October 11, 2007 10:39 PM