Special considerations for multiple MediaServer/Home Servers under a WorkGroup? RRS feed

• Question

• I am eager to buy a 2nd HP MediaServer/Home Server to have it work on different applications (my small business) - will conflicts arise with the configuration by adding it to my WorkGroup?.... For instance, will a given workstation in the workgroup simply place 2 icons for the servers and 2 sets of "shared folders" shortcuts or what will actually happen...  Please offer me some insight!
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 8:19 PM

Answers

• tamayok said:

I am eager to buy a 2nd HP MediaServer/Home Server to have it work on different applications (my small business) - will conflicts arise with the configuration by adding it to my WorkGroup?.... For instance, will a given workstation in the workgroup simply place 2 icons for the servers and 2 sets of "shared folders" shortcuts or what will actually happen...  Please offer me some insight!

First, WHS isn't designed for small business (and depending on what you're doing, it may be a violation of the EULA).

Having said that, you can have 2 servers in the same LAN (but they must have different names).  However, each client can only be joined to a single server at any one time in terms of backups and Remote Access.  As for the shortcuts, you can just create a shortcut to the second server manually and put it on the desktop.
    • Edited by kariya21Moderator Sunday, November 23, 2008 9:20 PM more info
    • Marked as answer by tamayok Sunday, November 23, 2008 10:16 PM
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 9:19 PM
  • As kariya21 says, you can only join a client PC to a single server. There's no restriction on access to the shares, however, and as long as credentials are set up properly you'll be able to get to both equally well. Regarding remote access, the parcitcal solution for a home with more than one server, possibly with a home-based business, is to join those PCs that you will need access to from off your premises to one of the servers, and configure remote access on only that server. It is possible to get it working on both at the same time, but it requires more technical expertise than you may have or really want to bring to bear.

Regarding the EULA, technically anything you do outside of the WHS console application, Remote Access web site, and shares is probably a violation. In many cases, that's not really a factor for the end user, though there are a few things that are likely to be taken more seriously should Microsoft learn of them. You don't say what you'd like to do with either sver; perhaps a bit more information would let us give you more guidance.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Unmarked as answer by tamayok Sunday, November 23, 2008 10:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by tamayok Sunday, November 23, 2008 10:25 PM
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 9:31 PM

All replies

• tamayok said:

I am eager to buy a 2nd HP MediaServer/Home Server to have it work on different applications (my small business) - will conflicts arise with the configuration by adding it to my WorkGroup?.... For instance, will a given workstation in the workgroup simply place 2 icons for the servers and 2 sets of "shared folders" shortcuts or what will actually happen...  Please offer me some insight!

First, WHS isn't designed for small business (and depending on what you're doing, it may be a violation of the EULA).

Having said that, you can have 2 servers in the same LAN (but they must have different names).  However, each client can only be joined to a single server at any one time in terms of backups and Remote Access.  As for the shortcuts, you can just create a shortcut to the second server manually and put it on the desktop.
    • Edited by kariya21Moderator Sunday, November 23, 2008 9:20 PM more info
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 9:19 PM
  • As kariya21 says, you can only join a client PC to a single server. There's no restriction on access to the shares, however, and as long as credentials are set up properly you'll be able to get to both equally well. Regarding remote access, the parcitcal solution for a home with more than one server, possibly with a home-based business, is to join those PCs that you will need access to from off your premises to one of the servers, and configure remote access on only that server. It is possible to get it working on both at the same time, but it requires more technical expertise than you may have or really want to bring to bear.

Regarding the EULA, technically anything you do outside of the WHS console application, Remote Access web site, and shares is probably a violation. In many cases, that's not really a factor for the end user, though there are a few things that are likely to be taken more seriously should Microsoft learn of them. You don't say what you'd like to do with either sver; perhaps a bit more information would let us give you more guidance.
    • Unmarked as answer by tamayok Sunday, November 23, 2008 10:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by tamayok Sunday, November 23, 2008 10:25 PM
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 9:31 PM
  • Thanks to both for looking into this...!!

It sounds like neither HP nor Microsoft would want a 2nd purchase from me, a rare concept but fine by me.  I'll look into getting another inexpensive server, perhaps with an OS other than Windows Server this time.
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 10:24 PM
  • I wouldn't say they don't want a second purchase. I wouldn't even say you can't use WHS to back up your business PCs. It's not designed to be a general-purpose server, however, and design decisions made to support it's role as a simple device that supports a connected home with multiple PCs make turning it into a general purpose server difficult (and technically against the EULA, most likely).
    Monday, November 24, 2008 12:03 PM
  • i have one at home and one at my small business, i just use it as a file server at both locations and it works fine.  i can't see how the eula could be violated unless they have some fine print in there just to try to get u to shell more money out for Server 03/08. 
    Monday, November 24, 2008 3:54 PM
  • ncinsguy, things that are prohibited by the EULA pretty much all require users to access the server with Remote Desktop. That is prohibited by the EULA for other than "administrative" purposes, and Microsoft has said that all the administration Windows Home Server should need on a day-to-day basis can be performed with the WHS console (no need for RDP).

There are a couple of things that are explicitly forbidden in the EULA, IIRC, such as promoting your home server to a domain controller.

Monday, November 24, 2008 6:24 PM