Dynamcis CRM Data Analysis - Advanced find use external field RRS feed

• Question

• ​Hi all,
               In Dynamic CRM, advanced find will work only on the fields available in CRM, but lots of time CRM doesn't have all the data in it.  What I mean is there are times that some supply chain team or analytics team will take data from CRM and apply some external factors/formula's with external data and wants to upload some fields back in CRM based on that analysis. Again this analysis is usually in big volume of data. I know some time we can do Spreadsheet import-export with native template which is exactly what we can do as long as it has proper GUID assigned or we can create our own custom tools as long as the rules are specific. but the scenario, I am talking is highly dynamic and frequent...means there are no rules in place or source is not defined....lots of time business do ad-hoc analysis by their own.

Does any one know any tools/feature/software allow this?? from IT stand point, we can always do data update from behind the scene as long as its on-premise, but curious what if we needs to provide these capability to some Business Users??
    Monday, August 14, 2017 1:55 PM

All replies

• Normally I'd use SSIS for these types of integrations, but I don't know if you can make that flexible enough without having to train the business users to be able to create SSIS packages, so that may not be suitable

Another option that may work is to use Record Creation and Update rules. The general approach is:

1. Create a custom activity entity with fields for the data that users might want to update
    2. Create a Record Creation and Update rule to update the regarding entity
    3. Create a data map, and have users import data using the data map into the custom activity entity

If you have multiple entities that you'd need to update, then you'd need to repeat steps 2 and 3 for each entity

Microsoft CRM MVP - http://mscrmuk.blogspot.com/ http://www.excitation.co.uk

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 8:56 AM