Suggestion: WHS and Onecare integration RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have been running Onecare and WHS on my PC's successfully as individual programs and was thinking because there is a overlap in functionality between the two when it come to backing the PC. Would it be a good idea if when you install these two programs on the same PC that it ask you which one you want to manage your backups! And from that point on wards they both report on the primary program backing up the PC.

On top of this I would love to see SMS (text ) altering capability for the likes of backup failures and virus alters

Alistair

P.S. WHS is a great step forward in home data manage!!

Thursday, August 23, 2007 8:50 AM

All replies

•  

I agree that there should be more integration between WHS and OneCare. After all, both products are targeted at pretty much the same audience. OneCare will detect that WHS is doing backups, but that’s about it. I think the ideal solution would be for OneCare to be an add-on to WHS.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 5:19 PM
  • Current Live One Care version 2.0 does offer the choice of backup utilization if several options exist  - keep in mind it is only file backup via One Care versus WHS complete backup - and why "clutter up" WHS with tune up, defrag and virus utilities that are --slow!----slow!---slow! 

Thursday, August 23, 2007 8:21 PM
  • BTW - new version of One Care provides "central" control of three computers with One Care installations.
    Thursday, August 23, 2007 8:25 PM
  •  

I think you are missing the point. IMO the hub or “central control” should be on WHS itself. That just makes sense. Then I can log into the WHS console, click the OneCare Add-on and see the status of all of my PCs. As for WHS itself, the AV would be nice to have, but I agree the tune up is probably not needed.

Friday, August 24, 2007 4:50 PM
  •  

I agree 100% I would like a addin for home server that monitors the onecare circle.  Plus it could give one less icon in my system tray because the windows home server icon could alert me to problems.
    Thursday, August 30, 2007 8:24 PM