User Account Can Not Be Edited RRS feed

• Question

• When I log off the shared user profile created in WSS and log on to the Admin account then try to access the user profile through WSS, i get the error message:

"The user account can not be edited because the profile is currently in use. Ensure that this user is properly logged off, and try again."

How do i properly log off? (tried holding down shift key when logging off). I can access the user profile in WSS if I restart - must I always have to restart to make changes? Account unlocked and Disk protection is off - Auto Logon Disabled.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 4:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Was the behavior still there if you log off as a administrator and logon again as a administartor?

According to the error message, it seems that user profile is not unloaded properly. Please perform the following suggestions:

1. Disable Anti-Virus and other disk monitor software to try again.
    2. Perform a  Clean Boot to see if the problem still exists. For how to enable a clean boot, refer to the following kb:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
    . install UPHClean tool, the tool can be downloaded at
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=837115
    4. Check whether multiple users use the same profile.

A. Checked the ProfileImagePath value under the following registry key:
       HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\<SID>

B. make sure there are no  two ProfileList\<SID> keys  that shared a same ProfileImagePath values .

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 5:47 AM
  • All worked for a day. Then same problem.

Used Hive Clean-up log (viewed from Event Viewer>Application) to find services that were still running in user profile (svchost.exe (1176), MsMpEng.exe(Windows Defender), RtvScan.exe (Symantic)).

Used directions from Hive clean-up to change svchost.exe (1176) services to run in the NetworkService account. ( To find what these services are one must Run>cmd>cd c:\>tasklist /svc) Although I had to change one back to run in localsystem (DCOM Server Process Launcher - Dcomlaunch). The  svchost.exe culprits for me were Dcomlaunch and TermService

Used Run>cmd>msconfig>services to shutdown all Symantic services and Windows defender.

Log on/off works for now. Will slowly start services to find problem service.

Wonder if SteadyState should be the first software installed then everything else to avoid these problems and others?

Thursday, June 28, 2007 10:11 PM

All replies

• I had the same problem and found the only way round it was to restart the machine - rather frustrating. Anyone know where this behaviour comes from?

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 8:55 PM

• Hi,

Was the behavior still there if you log off as a administrator and logon again as a administartor?

According to the error message, it seems that user profile is not unloaded properly. Please perform the following suggestions:

1. Disable Anti-Virus and other disk monitor software to try again.
    2. Perform a  Clean Boot to see if the problem still exists. For how to enable a clean boot, refer to the following kb:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
    . install UPHClean tool, the tool can be downloaded at
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=837115
    4. Check whether multiple users use the same profile.

A. Checked the ProfileImagePath value under the following registry key:
       HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\<SID>

B. make sure there are no  two ProfileList\<SID> keys  that shared a same ProfileImagePath values .

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 5:47 AM
  • Dear all,

Sammy's first hyperlink to the Microsoft Knowledge Base doesn't work because it stretches to the first character of the next paragraph. The correct URL should read:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

HTH.

Jan J.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 7:34 AM
  • Sammy,

1. Disabled Symantic - Did Not Work
    2. Performed Clean Boot - Worked, But...Too many processes to go through to hunt down problem.
    3.Installed UPH Clean tool - Worked the best!!
    4. Check registry as advised - No Double entries.

All is working well in regards to logging on and off!!

Thank you for saving my sanity...................for now.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 11:29 PM
  • All worked for a day. Then same problem.

Used Hive Clean-up log (viewed from Event Viewer>Application) to find services that were still running in user profile (svchost.exe (1176), MsMpEng.exe(Windows Defender), RtvScan.exe (Symantic)).

Used directions from Hive clean-up to change svchost.exe (1176) services to run in the NetworkService account. ( To find what these services are one must Run>cmd>cd c:\>tasklist /svc) Although I had to change one back to run in localsystem (DCOM Server Process Launcher - Dcomlaunch). The  svchost.exe culprits for me were Dcomlaunch and TermService

Used Run>cmd>msconfig>services to shutdown all Symantic services and Windows defender.

Log on/off works for now. Will slowly start services to find problem service.

Wonder if SteadyState should be the first software installed then everything else to avoid these problems and others?

Thursday, June 28, 2007 10:11 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for update. It seems some process is still using the user profile when the user logs off. Considering the current situation, we can do this:

1.Narrow down the service in question through msconfig>services.

2.If possible, please uninstalled and reinstall the related program after the troublesome service has been located

For the order of installation, the issue should not be caused by the installation order.

Sincerely,

Sammy Yu

Friday, June 29, 2007 9:04 AM
  • Sammy,
    Sorry to beat a dead laptop here but.............
    I thought I had this thing beat but...........
    I continue to have problems with the DCOMLAUNCH not unloading when logging off from the user profile. This is preventing me from accessing the user profile from WSS unless I do a complete restart (of course I have to disable AutoLogon.wsf) I've made the service run Local Service and Network Service - when I try this I cannot launch MS Word without the customary error message when the service is not set to logon "Local System". Although. when the service(dcomlaunch) is changed, Hive Cleanup reports all is well and I can access the user profile through SteadyState. Any more suggestions as to why DcomLaunch will not unload when logging off the user profile?

Added info: When I disable Autologon.wsf and I log on/off between user profile and the Admin account I am not experiencing the problem.
    Monday, July 2, 2007 5:38 PM
  • Although the procedure for installing Windows SteadyState includes a mention to remove UPHClean (which came with the Shared Computer Toolkit), I had to re-install it in order to get rid of the same problem.  I could not access my "public" user profile until I executed UPHClean.  After that it worked fine.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 2:18 PM
  • I'm going to try that because the other suggestions are WAY too time consuming and techie for my small library. Thanks for the idea.

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 4:20 PM