Wireless client on recovery CD RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm sure you all remmeber the original story I posted of me trying to do a system recovery using that recovery CD, only to discover that it did not have a wireless client built into it...

Is Power Pack 1 going to come with an updated Recovery CD, or the ability to make one with a wireless client in it, or no dice? and this is strictly to fix software problems witihin the OS itself...

Saturday, May 24, 2008 12:12 PM

Answers

• Edit: moved to Suggestions forum...

Wireless will work today, if you have the drivers and no security on your wireless network. If you have security (WEP/WPA/WPA2, and what are you thinking if you don't?!), then you need a way to configure that, and the recovery CD doesn't offer it. I doubt that a wireless restore will ever be supported because wireless network connections are subject to QoS issues that are very difficult to solve in a way robust enough for a bare metal restore. And if it's not supported, then the odds that a full client which allows security, etc. will be added are pretty slim. You may wish to take a look at, and vote on, this Connect feedback, which might allow a way to configure wireless networking.
    Saturday, May 24, 2008 12:26 PM