none
WLW and WordPress: markup converted incorrectly

    Question

  • I am trying to use WLW with my WordPress blog, but I run into the following problem: when I save a post to my blog, XHTML codes are converted into slash-tags (e.g. <small> gets converted into /small), which obviously does not work very well. How can I avoid this behaviour? I have already set my blog markup type to XHTML (in Edit blog settings - Advanced), but that doesn't seem to make any difference.
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 9:47 AM

Answers

All replies

  • Out of interest, what happens if you type a post using the WordPress online editor, go into the html and put the <small> tag (for example). If you publish then, what happens? If it gets converted again to /small, then it seems like you maybe have a plugin that's giving some strange behaviour.
    SL - Windows Live Platform MVP If my post has answered your question, please mark it as an answer.
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 1:06 PM
  • Thanks for your reply, Scott. I tried as you suggested, and yes, the markups change again. I did some more testing after that, with the following results:
    • The same happens if I use w.bloggar or Qumana, so apparently it is not a WLW issue but something in my blog.
    • I thought originally that markup codes were replaced by /tags, but actually what happens is that the angled brackets <> get stripped off -- the /codes I saw were, of course, the original closing tags, stripped of their brackets.
    • It seems to happen after I open the post for editing -- I can see the tags with brackets for about half a second before they are stripped.
    • If I prepare a post using the on-line editor in WordPress, save it, and then reopen the post, there is no issue at all -- so it must be the interaction of the blog with external blogging software.
    As it apparently is not a WLW issue, I will now post the question at the WP forum -- but I would be very happy with any further input here as well, of course!

    Thanks,
    Michael
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 4:38 AM
  • This will probably fix it:
    -Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Monday, April 27, 2009 5:15 AM
  • Thanks, Brandon, that seems to have solved the issue! I will also ask my provider to upgrade to the new PHP and libxml versions.

    Thanks for your truly helpful input!

    Cheers,
    Michael
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 1:22 AM