How to un-make a PC a hub... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

When I installed v2, I opted to make my Vista PC the hub for my network.  Now, I have a Red "1" because I don't have any other v2 computers in my circle.  So, I want to demote my PC from being a hub for now.  I can't seem to find that anywhere, so I'm wondering how to do it, if it's even possible at all.

Thanks for any help and have a great day:-)

Patrick.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 6:05 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the feedback. We had some trouble with our servers over the weekend which led to users seeing the red action item you've run into. This issue has been fixed. Please uninstall/reinstall OneCare and it should work.

Regarding the un-hubbing a PC - in the single PC case, explicit un-hubbing of a PC is not available. We plan to fix this in the future.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 9:01 PM

All replies

• Patrick, I don't know if this is a seperate bug or if it's related to the same issue of not being able to add a computer to the One Care Circle and the "can't configure backup" issue both of which are being widely reported. I tried to repro your issue but neither of my One Care 2.0 installs can see the other. Your icon may be red not because it is a hub with no PCs to manage but because it can't access the server where the data for your One Care Circle is stored.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 4:08 PM
  • Hi jim,

Thanks for the quick reply.  When I get home, I'll attach a screenshot of the window to my post, so it's a bit more clear.  It says "Dickey-Vista" is at risk, because it can't contact the other PC's in the circle (and the icon is red).  That's probably because there aren't any more PC's in the circle.  When I click the "Help" button on the main One Care screen, it goes away and my status becomes yellow (due to not having Backup configured).

Since I can't attach a picture, I'll put it into a photobucket and attach a link to the post.

Thanks, and have a great day :-)

Patrick.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 4:33 PM
  •  

PatrickDickey,

The only way I am aware of in your situation is to uninstall and reinstall. After reinstalling do not make the pc a hub, configure to monitor the pc only, for now. With other users experiencing problems downloading and installing recently, I am not sure if this will work out.

This cleanup tool I found in the OC 2.0 online help and recommended to use when uninstall fails. http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/c/b/4cb845e7-1076-437b-852a-7842a8ab13c8/OneCareCleanup.exe

Thursday, August 30, 2007 5:23 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback. We had some trouble with our servers over the weekend which led to users seeing the red action item you've run into. This issue has been fixed. Please uninstall/reinstall OneCare and it should work.

Regarding the un-hubbing a PC - in the single PC case, explicit un-hubbing of a PC is not available. We plan to fix this in the future.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 9:01 PM
  •  

Mona Akmal,

Very glad to hear there will be fix for “un-hubbing a PC”, I ran end to this problem earlier. I though it was a long way around to make the change by uninstalling and reinstalling and most users would not agree with that method.

Knightsky

Thursday, August 30, 2007 10:11 PM
  • Has there been any progress made on the fix for "demoting" a pc from a hub PC?  Please let me know...

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 11:13 PM
  • Yes, this was fixed long before 2.0 was released. Open OneCare click on

"Your OneCare Circle" in the left pane.

The PC you are on is at the top of the list. Click on the Details arrow on the right next to your PC name.

Click the link "Stop using this PC as a hub PC."

Done. :-)

-steve

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 2:10 AM