none
Visual Basic Standard Edition and Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I am a novice, however since about 1995 I have used Visual Basic Standard Edition (probably the first one ever written) very successfully in Windows 95 and Windows 7. I can load it in Windows 10 and write programs... but, cannot determine how to save the data created in the program as a File in Windows 10. I would like to retrieve the data later for analysis. Is it possible? Thanks.
    • Moved by KareninstructorMVP Thursday, September 14, 2017 12:48 PM Moved from VB.NET as this is a vb6 question not suported in this forum
    Thursday, September 14, 2017 6:19 AM

All replies

• I am a novice, however since about 1995 I have used Visual Basic Standard Edition (probably the first one ever written) very successfully in Windows 95 and Windows 7. I can load it in Windows 10 and write programs... but, cannot determine how to save the data created in the program as a File in Windows 10. I would like to retrieve the data later for analysis. Is it possible? Thanks.

I assume that you mean with the Visual Basic Standard Edition VB5. 

VB is currently on version 15 (and had even subversions). 

Moreover, that old version until version 8 was never in a free to use version. Currently it is and throw that old software overboard. You are not even allowed to distribute it, you can only use it for personal use. 

Therefore take the Visual Studio 2017 Community edition which contains VB15 which even can much more than your old version. Under limited conditions you can even sell the software made with that.

Likewise horses are versions of VB older than VB7 off topic in this forum and I assume a moderator will move it to the off topic forum. 

https://www.visualstudio.com/thank-you-downloading-visual-studio/?sku=Community&rel=15

Success
    Cor

• Edited by Cor Ligthert Thursday, September 14, 2017 6:30 AM
    Thursday, September 14, 2017 6:28 AM
  • Hello,

As this forum is for VB.NET I'm moving your question to an off-topic forum.

So you choices are to use VS2017 Community edition as recommended by Cor or ask your question in the following VB forum.

http://www.vbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?1-Visual-Basic-6-and-Earlier

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Thursday, September 14, 2017 12:48 PM