none
How do I prevent my postings from being moved?

Question

• Is there some way to prevent someone from moving my posted questions to another forum after I post them?  It's frustrating.  I post in the forum that I post in because I think that's where I'm going to get my answer.  But, right away, it gets moved to another forum and I never get an answer because that forum is not the best forum to ask it in.  For example, I recently posted a question in a window's developer forum about the use of a Win32 function.  But, I guess, because I was calling the function from a VBA program, my question got moved to the VBA forum.  I don't see what sense that makes?  My problem had nothing to do with VBA.  Earlier, in a different case, I posted a question asking which forum was the most appropriate for my topic to the "Where is the Forum For ... ?"  forum.  I guess someone determined that the appropriate forum to ask my question was the Visual Studiio Development forums.  But, instead of answering my question, that person moved my question to that Visual Studio Development forum.  Again, what's the point of doing that?  Why wasn't my question simply left in the "Where is the Forum For...?" forum?

If I include a statement in my posting asking that the posting not be moved; will it be left where I posted it?  If I really, really posted in an inappropriate forum, I'd really appreciate it if someone simply told me, but not move it.  I'll move it, or delete it myself.

Friday, February 7, 2014 1:53 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I'll try to touch on a few of your points:

For example, I recently posted a question in a window's developer forum about the use of a Win32 function. But, I guess, because I was calling the function from a VBA program, my question got moved to the VBA forum. I don't see what sense that makes? My problem had nothing to do with VBA.

I feel your pain on this one. Sometimes it seems as if some of the moderators don't really read a question in depth before they move it. It's not extremely common, but I've certainly seen more than one complaint about it here.

Earlier, in a different case, I posted a question asking which forum was the most appropriate for my topic to the "Where is the Forum For ... ?" forum. I guess someone determined that the appropriate forum to ask my question was the Visual Studiio Development forums. But, instead of answering my question, that person moved my question to that Visual Studio Development forum. Again, what's the point of doing that? Why wasn't my question simply left in the "Where is the Forum For...?" forum?

This one is interesting, to my knowledge most threads are left in that forum once an appropriate forum has been suggested. I think the few times I've seen a thread move out of there (I don't frequent that forum, so I don't have too much knowledge about what goes on there) it appeared that there had been plenty of time invested in the original post, so the moderator moved the thread to avoid having the OP retype everything. AFAIK, there isn't a hard guideline on what to do with threads that are posted there, so I guess it really comes down to the individual moderators.

If I include a statement in my posting asking that the posting not be moved; will it be left where I posted it?

My guess would be yes, but again that really depends on the moderator that comes across the thread. Each forum has different moderators, so what is common in one forum is unheard of in others.

If I really, really posted in an inappropriate forum, I'd really appreciate it if someone simply told me, but not move it. I'll move it, or delete it myself.

This is where it gets tricky. Normal users like us can't actually move threads, nor can we delete them once anyone has posted in them. My usual response to threads that land in the wrong forum is to point out a more on topic forum and say something along the lines of 'You can either repost or request that a moderator move the thread'. Nine times out of ten I don't get a response from the OP anyway, but every now and again that ends up helping someone.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,575+ strong and growing)

Friday, February 7, 2014 2:36 AM