none
Getting kicked back to Share list when accessing subfolder RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to share some files with a few friends, by creating users for them on my WHS and then giving them access to a single share.

The problem I'm having is that when I log in to remote access with one of these users, they can see the share just fine, and access it - upon trying to open one of the subfolders in that share however, they are kicked back to the share list. No error messages.

I've checked the event logs, but found nothing.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:25 PM

All replies

• I'm trying to share some files with a few friends, by creating users for them on my WHS and then giving them access to a single share.

The problem I'm having is that when I log in to remote access with one of these users, they can see the share just fine, and access it - upon trying to open one of the subfolders in that share however, they are kicked back to the share list. No error messages.

I've checked the event logs, but found nothing.

Did you change any permissions anywhere other than the WHS Console?  You might try creating a brand new share in the Console, then use the Console to set permissions for that and see if they can access that new share.
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 2:09 AM
  • This is basically what I did - I created a brand new share via the WHS Console then moved the correct files into it. Then I created a user, again through the WHS Console, and gave it read access to the new share. Then I tried logging in to remote access with the new user to verify that it worked and experienced the problem, can't access share subfolders. I then tried creating a second user (maybe something had bugged with the first one I though) but the same problem occurs.

Giving the user full access doesn't help either.
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 7:52 AM
  • Did you reboot - restart the server after you created the user and gave him access?? Try giving him full access and try again.

Sometimes, a server restart will cure a lot of ills.

Cruise
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 11:27 PM
  • This is basically what I did - I created a brand new share via the WHS Console then moved the correct files into it. Then I created a user, again through the WHS Console, and gave it read access to the new share. Then I tried logging in to remote access with the new user to verify that it worked and experienced the problem, can't access share subfolders. I then tried creating a second user (maybe something had bugged with the first one I though) but the same problem occurs.

Giving the user full access doesn't help either.

Very strange.  If Cruiseman's suggestion of rebooting doesn't fix it, the only supported option left is Server Reinstallation.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 3:36 AM
  • Very strange.  If Cruiseman's suggestion of rebooting doesn't fix it, the only supported option left is Server Reinstallation.

Reinstall seems to be the solution to every little problem.

Well, a reboot didn't fix it - I'll find some other way to share these files, or keep digging for a solution to this.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 3:06 PM
  • When you say you "moved the correct files into it" and that the new user cannot access subfolders under that share, does that mean you moved or copied existing folders into the new share as subfolders?  If so, could the subfolders have brought restricting permissions with them from the default shares?  I'm not sure how WHS handles share permissions underneath the console interface, but I would assume it uses the NTFS file and folder permissions.  These might not be changed as you move the files from a share the new user does not have rights to into a share where he does.

Try giving the new user access to the default shares (or wherever the files are copied from), move or copy the files, then remove the new user's permissions from the default shares.

Friday, August 14, 2009 9:50 PM
  • Reinstall seems to be the solution to every little problem.

Well, a reboot didn't fix it - I'll find some other way to share these files, or keep digging for a solution to this.

Cedarcreek brings up a good point which I didn't think of until he mentioned that.  Exactly how did you move files to the new share you created in the WHS Console?
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:42 AM