MS Money Sunset Crashing in Windows 10 Tech Preview RRS feed

• Question

• Seems to start up fine, but after a few seconds (a minute maybe?), it crashes.  Have tried various compatibility settings with no success.  Other than switching to Quicken, anyone have any ideas?  I have even gone back to a week old backup version and that one still crashes.  All help appreciated.

Scott

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 12:30 PM

All replies

• First, have you applied the patch described in the first post in this forum? If not, do so. Did that help?

If not, what was the actual error message?

I suggest you open any file you can, such as Sample.mny.
    You can do that by going to your Money install folder
    and right-clicking Sample.mny, and choosing Open.
    Go to Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings and set the
    (GeneralDisplay:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList.
    Close Money.

Then open the problem file once or twice.

Then Tools->Settings->HomePageDisplayOptions and Remove the
    Investment Performance module. If you still have a problem, remove
    everything. If the problem goes away, you can add things back until
    the crash does not happen. Add back in the other things you want
    on the home page. Let us know which was the problem module.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 1:19 PM
  • The simplest thing to do is to run Money on your Windows 8.1 (or 7) system for the time being.  You can't expect the preview version to be without bugs and incompatibilities.  Report the issue to Microsoft.  The problem will probably be fixed by the time the non-preview version of Windows 10 comes out. 
    Wednesday, May 27, 2015 2:17 PM
  • This is good but the program doesn't stay open long enough to do it before it crashes.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 8:54 PM
  • Money worked for me for a week after I changed the numbers , but now it stops running after a minute or so. now what?
    • Edited by hub95 Wednesday, August 12, 2015 5:50 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 5:49 PM
  • I have the exact same problem, made the registry change and it worked like a champ for about 2 weeks. Now it try's to open and immediately crashes. Looking for help as well.
    Sunday, August 30, 2015 6:24 PM
  • I followed instructions above:

I suggest you open any file you can, such as Sample.mny.
    You can do that by going to your Money install folder
    and right-clicking Sample.mny, and choosing Open.
    Go to Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings and set the
    (GeneralDisplay:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList.
    Close Money.

Then open the problem file once or twice.

Then Tools->Settings->HomePageDisplayOptions and Remove the
    Investment Performance module. If you still have a problem, remove
    everything. If the problem goes away, you can add things back until
    the crash does not happen. Add back in the other things you want
    on the home page. Let us know which was the problem module.

When I selected the sample money file it opened up for me, then I followed all as suggested above and then opened my back up file from the previous day and now I am back up and running.

Hope to be trouble free now - I really don't want to use anything else as I have used money for decades!

Gary L Maddux

Sunday, August 30, 2015 6:36 PM
  • thanks for the help - this solved my issues. I didn't have to remove any modules, I didn't have the investment performance module running anyway. Thanks again.

Gary L Maddux

Sunday, August 30, 2015 6:37 PM
  • I have the exact same problem,

What does your crash consist of? Error message? Hangs with no message? Exits with no message?

Have you tried the things in the May 27th response above?

Sunday, August 30, 2015 6:40 PM
  • What "registry" fix.  I don't see any forums, just this list of messages.  Can you paste whatever that fix is so we can see it?

thanks.

Friday, October 9, 2015 7:48 AM
  • Why did you post to this thread?  Are you running a Tech preview version of Widows 10?  If so, I recommend that you upgrade to the release version and apply all the available updates.  Then you will not have to apply any registry fixes.  There are numerous threads with Windows 10 in the title that discuss this.

However, if you are running Money Plus Deluxe Sunset US on Windows 10, you will need to replace your mnyob99.dll with a patched version.  See the first "sticky" thread in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/important-patch-for-money-plus-maybe-20062007-mnyob99dll?forum=money

If this doesn't help, start a new thread and describe the problem you are having.  Be sure to give the versions of Windows and Money that you are running.

Bill Becker

Friday, October 9, 2015 12:23 PM
  • I applied the patch and it seemed to work fine, but if I tried to enter a new payee, it stopped. It's not really a patch but a registry change to HKEY LOCAL, software, Wow6432Node, Microsoft, Internet Explorer..change version to 9.11.10240.0. I was online with microsoft today for over an hour and they do not seem to fully want to fix this problem for the millions of Money users
    Thursday, October 22, 2015 7:53 PM
  • applied the patch and it seemed to work fine, but if I tried to enter a new payee, it stopped. It's not really a patch but a registry change to HKEY LOCAL, software, Wow6432Node, Microsoft, Internet Explorer..change version to 9.11.10240.0. I was online with microsoft today for over an hour and they do not seem to fully want to fix this problem for the millions of Money users
    Thursday, October 22, 2015 7:55 PM
  • The problem you describe can be fixed by replacing your mnyob99.dll file with a patched version.  See the first "sticky" thread in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/important-patch-for-money-plus-maybe-20062007-mnyob99dll?forum=money

The registry change that you made is not necessary.  Microsoft fixed that problem with the August 12th updates to Windows 10.

Bill Becker

Thursday, October 22, 2015 8:11 PM
  • I applied the patch and it seemed to work fine, but if I tried to enter a new payee, it stopped. It's not really a patch but a registry change to HKEY LOCAL, software, Wow6432Node, Microsoft, Internet Explorer..change version to 9.11.10240.0. I was online with microsoft today for over an hour and they do not seem to fully want to fix this problem for the millions of Money users

Apply the patch that Bill pointed to, which is not a registry change.
    Friday, October 23, 2015 4:16 AM