how to identify the physical hard drive RRS feed

All replies

• Assuming you mean on WHS, this is one of the common bug-bears on home-built systems.

The Disk Management Add-In is a really good piece of work, which if you physically mark your drives at the same time as you set up your system, makes identifying the drives a LOT easier.

HTH,

Colin

Thursday, March 6, 2008 5:53 PM
  • Just in case if you don't know...

"WHS Disk Management" is a wonderful add-in by talented Sam Wood...

You can find all add-in here...

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/windows-home-server-add-ins/

My Best,

Thursday, March 6, 2008 6:58 PM
  • what is the correlation between how the hard drives are displayed in server storage and their physical location in the system. I have eight drives in the system two pide and six sata.  Four sata are connected to the motherboard and two are connected to a sata pci card.  In device manager under your scsi it identifies the drives by serial # but not the drive connected to the system.  When you say to physically mark them could you be more specific. So far the only way I have been able to identify a drive is to disconnect it and then reconnect it. Thanks for your reply. Computers are so much fun.

Mark

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 12:51 AM
  • Exactly that!

You will have to physically remove the drive and see which one is missing when WHS boots. You can then either mark it, or use the wireframe builder and put the drive in the appropriate position.

There is no way-easily- of identifying which drive is which, apart from looking through the registry under hardware-devicemap, which will list which disk is on which port. But again, if you have identical drives, you're back to square one.

Colin

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 6:08 PM
  • Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket product with drive lights for just such an application?

Friday, March 21, 2008 8:11 PM