Combining "segmented" PST files from a corrupt backup file. RRS feed

• Question

• My computer (HP Pavilion Laptop) shut down unexpectedly during a backup. I had to do a clean install of Vista Business. When I tried to restore my files a message says the file is corrupt. I then tried to import into Outlook the PST files extracted from the backup Zip file but they are in segments and not recognized as valid PST files. Is there a standalone program that combines these type files the way One Care does?
    Friday, April 3, 2009 9:40 PM

Answers

• Why did you post to the Dutch language forum? I'm moving this to the Back and Restore forum.
    Why not reinstall OneCare and use OneCare to restore the file?
    If you choose to do the restore manually, you need to rejoin the segments using a 3rd party tool. I believe that the segments will also need to be renamed with extensions of .001, .002, etc.

File rejoin utility - http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 4:46 PM

All replies

• Why did you post to the Dutch language forum? I'm moving this to the Back and Restore forum.
    Why not reinstall OneCare and use OneCare to restore the file?
    If you choose to do the restore manually, you need to rejoin the segments using a 3rd party tool. I believe that the segments will also need to be renamed with extensions of .001, .002, etc.

File rejoin utility - http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

-steve

Sunday, April 5, 2009 4:46 PM
  • Thank you very much. HJ Split did the job. My One Care backup was corrupted when the system shut down unexpectedly during the backup process. I was unaware that I posted to Dutch language. This is the first time I've used a forum.

John
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 6:29 PM
  • Glad that you were able to recover the data from the backup. No problems with posting to the Dutch forum, I was just curious. :-)

-steve
    Monday, April 6, 2009 1:01 PM