OneCare printer sharing makes Word 2007 unusable - (Word hourglass pulsing / flashing / blinking constantly) RRS feed

• General discussion

• On my Windows XP Professional 2002 Service Pack 3 machine, Word 2007 became unusable with the hourglass pulsing constantly.  Word would not accept any text entered while the hourglass was on.  After many hours and days of diagnosis, I finally traced the problem to two processes that Windows Task Manager showed were taking large portions of CPU Usage: winss.exe (Windows Live OneCare) and spoolsv.exe (print spooler).  Stopping either one of these processes would temporarily fix the problem, but the same symptoms returned whenever the machine was restarted.

I finally found the root cause to be printer sharing in Windows Live OneCare version 2.5.  Turning off printer sharing fixed the problem completely and Word stays healthy even after system restarts. 

To test this fix, open OneCare; in the left navigation pane select "Change settings"; select the tab labeled "Printer sharing", de-select the checkbox for "Automatically share all printers connected to this PC..."; then click the "OK" button.)

What a hassle !

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 8:12 PM