Windows genuine Advantage Kit/Product Key Update Tool RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

Today I purchased the Windows genuine Advantage Kit for my Windows XP Pro SP2, I downloaded the Product Update Tool.

I verified with Windows diagnostic page that active X etc passed, when I enter the new key I get no error messages so I click next, after a second or so a box opens and informs me that the "key can't be changed due to technical difficulties or Internet connectivity problems.

I have tried to enter the key numourous time with the same result, any ideas please, I have checked the vast FAQ's but I can't find anything that deals with this.

Thank you

Sunday, March 9, 2008 3:33 PM

Answers

• Hello MUPPI,

The product key update tool will require a direct connection to the internet to change your key, please make sure you disable any firewalls and antispyware programs and try again, if you are still having issues I would highly suggest waiting for the disc to come in the mail and do a clean install.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 5:25 PM

All replies

• Hello MUPPI,

The product key update tool will require a direct connection to the internet to change your key, please make sure you disable any firewalls and antispyware programs and try again, if you are still having issues I would highly suggest waiting for the disc to come in the mail and do a clean install.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 5:25 PM
  •  

Saturday, April 5, 2008 7:25 AM
  • Hi Matt,

Sorry for the long delay in getting back to you on this. it came to light that the key was not at fault my Nvidia graphics card was failing at the same time I was entering the key hence the problems.

I have the CD now, so I have backed up all my files and have done a clean install, and bought a new graphics card so all is well.

Thank you.

Sunday, April 6, 2008 11:34 AM