Worst Install Ever RRS feed

• Question

• This has been such an ordeal to install One Care I can't believe this product was ever tested before shipping. I have no idea why a program needs to download updates before it will even install, especially a security program. Forcing an internet connection with no security software installed leaves the PC vulnerable.

Here's the problems I have had so far:

1. Need to download updates before the program will install - 30 minutes on dial up.

2. Program installs - about 10 minutes

3. Program needs more updates - estimated download of 1 -2 hours is more like 3.

4. Another 10 - 15 minutes to install updates

5. Back on line again to register, but need a 1 care account first

6. Tries setting up an acoount. I had a hard time reading the letters so I opted for the audio file. WAV files no longer play on my PC.

6. Tried to print something from my computer - ALL printers gone!!! Do I have to reinstall all 6 including network drivers?

7. Tried to get some work done, can't because cookies are now missing and disabled - how do I get these back or enabled? I can't find the cookies option in IE7.

8. CDs will no longer automatically start when inserted - all options I can find look OK. Now what?

I am afraid to install 1 Care on my other PCs. Will I have to go through this mess for each one?

I looked at some options and needed help. Sorry - have to download answers from the internet. I can choose to delete unwanted files automatically, but I have no choice except what Microsoft sees as unwanted.

If I can't get this thing going shortly it will be off to file 13. I just don't understand why it has to be this way. What is the purpose of buying a disc if you have to install aver 40 MB of "updates"? It would seem so easy to just have the software install, let you set it up, then let you update it when you have time. I pretty much lost a whole day yesterday messing with this and I still have to spend more time fixing stuff it broke.

Frustrated in Indiana

Saturday, February 2, 2008 4:59 PM

Answers

• I'm sorry that you encountered such a frustrating installation experience. On Dial-up it can indeed take several hours to complete. OneCare always downloads the latest version at install. The CD only contains some core files and the installer. To insure that you have the latest protection available, it will download during the install.

Jumping to your 6th item - how are these printers setup on your PC? OneCare should not impact your ability to print. Since your PC is using dialup, though, I wonder if you are using Internet Connection Sharing and have printers on your LAN that you are printing to. If this is the case, the OneCare firewall is most likely impacting your ability to access these network printers. Open OneCare, click change settings, on the firewall tab, click configure. When you are connected via dial-up, the network will be identified as Public, to lock down the firewall. Click on the advanced configuration button and see if you show multiple network connections active. If this is the case, you may be able to configure the local LAN as Home or Work and then on the ports and protocols tab, configure File and Printer sharing for Internet and Subnet to be enabled.

Cookies in IE7 can be found under Tools/Internet Options/Privacy. OneCare sets this to medium, meaning that your cookies are not blocked or deleted. They are not disabled by OneCare.

I can't imagine why CD autostart would be impacted by a OneCare install. I've never seen this happen.

I think your best bet would be to work through these issues with support --

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, February 4, 2008 1:57 AM