Connector issues after installing Win 8.1 Upgrade 1 RRS feed

• Question

• Homeserver 2011 connector will not reinstall.  Error message includes“…either another software installation is in progress, or, the computer has a restart pending.”  There is not any subkey named PendingFileRenameOperations that exists in regedit.  There is not any WHS Connector program listed that I can uninstall.  There are no Log files.  The Homeserver is password protected.  Yet, I can access the files without needing to enter the password, so the original WHS connector must be still running.  Where is it?  How do I uninstall it?

Background:  The Win 8.1 Update 1 would not install on the Lenovo T440s system running Win 8.1 Pro.  Trying each of the suggested fixes sequentially, I finally had to let the system reinstall the OS and download all the updates.  Then Update 1 installed.  I had to re-register all the licensed programs.  When I tried to install the connector, the program stops with the error message above.  Another interesting effect is that if I do a straight connection to the server, the log in screen appears.  If I log in using IE, the folder screen flashes and then an Error 404 appears.  This does not happen with either Firefox or Chrome. 

Saturday, June 21, 2014 5:23 PM

Answers

• Just seen in another thread here, where there was a key "FileRenameOperations" (without "Pending" in front) causing the same issue and removing/renaming it solved the problem.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by WaltT12 Friday, July 11, 2014 5:51 PM
    Thursday, July 10, 2014 12:07 PM
  • Olaf,

Thank you.  Your comment provided an insight that solved the issue. I searched and deleted the FileRenameOperations.  In the search I found a PendingFileRenameOperations Key in \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager.  I deleted that and rebooted.  The connector failed again.  I did a search and found the Key was reinserted.  So, I deleted it again and ran the connector without rebooting and the connector installed without any problems.  Thank you.  Walt

• Marked as answer by Olaf Engelke Friday, July 11, 2014 6:51 PM
    Friday, July 11, 2014 5:51 PM

All replies

• You do not need the Connector to be installed to access shared folders/files - it just uses your Windows credentials if that user is known to WHS. I therefore do not think that is the issue. What the issue is though, I have no idea! Do you have a "FileRenameOperations" key?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, June 21, 2014 7:19 PM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Based on your description, please refer to the following KB and check if can help you.

"Cannot connect the computer to the server" error message after you install the client connect on a client computer

If this issue still persists, please logon the client computer and navigate to Control Panel-> Programs and Features-> View installed updates. Then check if any update which was related to Connector had been installed.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 6:42 AM
  • Yes, have a "FileRenameOperations" key and renamed it by adding a "2" to the end of the name.  Still unable to install.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 10:01 PM
  • Have been through all the suggestions on the link above.  The Homeserver is running the latest updates.  I have tried both downloading the connector program from the server and running it from the downloaded files.  The result yields the same error message.  Looking in installed updates, there is nothing that relates to the connector.  any other suggestions?  Thanks.

Best regards, Walt

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 11:38 PM
  • I found something interesting.  In searching through regedit, I found the following: computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Server with five sub-folders.  Since there is no home server connector program that show up in the Control Panel uninstall section, I think this regedit folder is an artifact of the issues that I had installing Upgrade 1.  Two questions:  Has anyone experienced this?  What happens if I delete it?  thanks
    Wednesday, July 2, 2014 9:46 PM
  • What happens if you delete it you can try yourself. If you are not sure, you can export the key to a reg file before deleting it.

The same goes for the folder Program Files\Windows Server, if it exists.

Since my Windows 8.1.1 machine is connected to a WHS v.1 I also have no further experience here.

Olaf

Thursday, July 3, 2014 8:35 AM
  • Olaf,

Thanks for the suggestions.  Tried it and still get the error message.  Have searched the registry and the only references tot he Homeserver are under software programs.  I have multiple machines and use the server as the latest version.  Otherwise there is no specific references to the homeserver.  There are no directories relating to the homeserver anywhere on the OS drive. Best regards.

Thursday, July 3, 2014 2:16 PM
  • Did you already try the FixIt, which could be downloaded from the website linked by Justin Gu?

Olaf

Thursday, July 3, 2014 2:23 PM
  • Olaf,thanks.  Yes, I tried fixit and it didn't.  However, I found the following two items in the registry.  I have not done anything because I was not sure of the impact of deleting them.  Here are the two instances that contain PendingRestart:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemSettings\Settingld\SystemSettings_Update_PendingRestart.
    ●     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SystemSettings\Settingld\SystemSettings_Update_PendingRestart

Appreciate advice on whether or not I should delete them.  Thanks, Walt

Friday, July 4, 2014 11:59 PM
  • First key and second key are identical, since HKLM populates a part of HKCR key.

Since I see this key on my Windows 8.1 system as well, and it contains only the reference to a DLL file which may be is in charge for proper handling of restarts after updates, I would not touch it. Unfortunately this machine is attached to WHS v.1, so I cannot verify with WHS 2011.

Although I think with Windows Home Server 2011 the referring entries pointed to Windows Server and not Windows Home Server.

Did you try the solutions listed here?

Olaf

Monday, July 7, 2014 6:54 AM
  • I have tried the suggestions at the link.  There is not a PendingFileRenameOperations key.  I have just searched the registry for RebootRequired and found the following location: \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lenovo\Lenovo Settings Installer Manager, which has a RebootRequired listed.  The system has been rebooted a large number of times.

RebootRequired        REG_DWORD        0x00000000 (0)

There is a sub-key \Common that has the following

SystemRebooted        REG_DWORD        0x00000000 (1)

This is the only Lenovo system (out of 4) that has these keys.  Any suggestions before I start talking with Lenovo?  Thanks

Monday, July 7, 2014 1:34 PM
  • I don't think these keys are involved, at least if you read the values, you can see, that no reboot is required (value 0) and that the system has been rebooted (value 1).

But on the other side, if there is 3rd party software involved which is hooking itself into the installation process (be it a maker specific tool, be it a virus scanner or even malware, it may raise false positives, since the installer doesn't get the expected answer and therefore fails.

Hard to troubleshoot without sitting in front of the machine and using tools like Process Explorer to check, what is going on.

Olaf

Monday, July 7, 2014 1:40 PM
  • Just seen in another thread here, where there was a key "FileRenameOperations" (without "Pending" in front) causing the same issue and removing/renaming it solved the problem.

Olaf

• Marked as answer by WaltT12 Friday, July 11, 2014 5:51 PM
    Thursday, July 10, 2014 12:07 PM
  • Olaf,

Thank you.  Your comment provided an insight that solved the issue. I searched and deleted the FileRenameOperations.  In the search I found a PendingFileRenameOperations Key in \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager.  I deleted that and rebooted.  The connector failed again.  I did a search and found the Key was reinserted.  So, I deleted it again and ran the connector without rebooting and the connector installed without any problems.  Thank you.  Walt

• Marked as answer by Olaf Engelke Friday, July 11, 2014 6:51 PM
    Friday, July 11, 2014 5:51 PM