Formatting a 3GB Disk with WHS 2011,64Bit RRS feed

• Question

• I am running WHS, 2011,64 bit. and just added an extra 3TB hard disk. This is my 5th one. The others are all less than 2 TB so no problem formatting/using the whole disk.   However when I go to format the 3GB disk it splits it into 2G & 746MG (because WHS is limited to disks less than 2GB). I can format and use the first 2Gb partition.  But I cannot seem to find an option as to how I use/format the second partition.

In Computer management/Disk management clicking on the "Unallocated" does not give a format option.

Anybody got any suggestions???

• Edited by monahan_z Friday, February 3, 2012 12:29 AM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 10:46 PM

Answers

• It sounds like your disk is formatted with an MBR style partition table. Large disks formatted with an MBR partition table will not give you access to more than approximately 2 TB of space on the disk, no matter what you try, so you will have to switch the disk to a GPT partition table. Try this:

• Make sure there's no data you need to keep on the disk. Move all Windows Home Server shares to other partitions
    • Open an elevated command prompt.
    • Type diskpart and hit Enter.
    • Type list disk and hit Enter.
    • Find your 3 TB disk in the list, type sel disk <n> where <n> is the number of the disk, and press Enter.
    • Type clean and press Enter.
    • Type exit and press Enter.

You should now be able to use the dashboard to partition the disk, which should result in two partitions: one 2 TB, and one "everything else".

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by monahan_z Saturday, February 4, 2012 5:29 AM
    Friday, February 3, 2012 3:05 PM

All replies

• Did you add the 3 GB disk as a backup disk? If so, there's no way to use the extra 746 GB of space.
    Friday, February 3, 2012 1:40 AM
  • Ken I am not quite sure what you mean by backup disk. If you mean backup disk for the server itself, no that not what I want.

I am storing video files on a few hard disks on the WHS, the others are <2GB so no problem. Now I seem to be wasting 1/3 the disk on this new disk.  The good news is I have nothing on the disk so far.  What do I have to do with a new disk to be able to use 2+1 GB.

Friday, February 3, 2012 7:34 AM
  • It sounds like your disk is formatted with an MBR style partition table. Large disks formatted with an MBR partition table will not give you access to more than approximately 2 TB of space on the disk, no matter what you try, so you will have to switch the disk to a GPT partition table. Try this:

• Make sure there's no data you need to keep on the disk. Move all Windows Home Server shares to other partitions
    • Open an elevated command prompt.
    • Type diskpart and hit Enter.
    • Type list disk and hit Enter.
    • Find your 3 TB disk in the list, type sel disk <n> where <n> is the number of the disk, and press Enter.
    • Type clean and press Enter.
    • Type exit and press Enter.

You should now be able to use the dashboard to partition the disk, which should result in two partitions: one 2 TB, and one "everything else".

• Marked as answer by monahan_z Saturday, February 4, 2012 5:29 AM
    Friday, February 3, 2012 3:05 PM
  • That did the trick Ken, thanks.

One thing, WHS 2011 allowed me to format the disk as one 2.89GB disk.  I am using the disk to store video files for my media player (Patriot Box Office).  Are the any potential problems going past 2 GB for a setup like that.

Saturday, February 4, 2012 5:33 AM
  • That did the trick Ken, thanks.

One thing, WHS 2011 allowed me to format the disk as one 2.89GB disk.  I am using the disk to store video files for my media player (Patriot Box Office).  Are the any potential problems going past 2 GB for a setup like that.

Yes, there is a potential problem. Windows Home Server's built in server backup feature can't back up more than a total of 2 TB of data at once. You won't even see that 3 TB disk shown as a potential source for backup without (unsupported) changes in the server's registry. What I had in mind was that you would scrub the disk, then use the Windows Home Server Dashboard to partition it, which should have partitioned the disk as I stated previously.
    Sunday, February 5, 2012 2:12 AM
  • Interesting! however I don't need to backup the video files on that 2.89GB disk I just need to have them there to feed my media player. (I have them already on another hard disk not in this system).  What I was asking is: is there any issues streaming a video file to a media server from a disk > 2GB.  In other words does the media server have to know the size of the source disk or does it typically just ask the server for the file stream and WHS takes care of the supply process.

Sunday, February 5, 2012 6:39 AM
  • I hope Ken is still out there - last posting was i february...

You wrote: You should now be able to use the dashboard to partition the disk, which should result in two partitions: one 2 TB, and one "everything else".

Exactly how? Dashboard?

Thanks /

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 3:31 PM