Live Mesh and Live Sync simultaneously RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Live Mesh to sync OneNote notebooks I ink on during class to my desktop at home. My class PDFs are on pace to outstrip Mesh's storage limit in about 2 months, so I'm trying to prepare for that moment. Since my main objective is to keep my computers in Sync, Live Sync seems like it would be okay. However, I'm liking the cloud storage that Mesh offers. So I'm wondering what would happen if I ran Live Mesh and Live Sync simultaneously?

For my usage, I've found that if both machines have OneNote running and I ink on my tablet, sometimes my desktop will update the mesh and my tablet ink will get erased. This isn't cool at all, but I've mitigated the problem by closing OneNote on my desktop before going to class. If I introduce Live Sync though, what would happen? Can someone test this before I risk hosing a weeks worth of classwork?
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 6:21 PM

Answers

• You don't want to point Live Sync and Live Mesh to the same folders to sync.
    You can configure Live Mesh to only sync peer to peer, and not the Live Desktop, but when you hit the limit for the Live Desktop that will actually happen automatically.
    You can run both Live Sync on the same machines - just not synchronizing the same data/folders as that could create potential cases for cascading deletions - bad.
    Note that rumor has it that Live Sync and Live Mesh will become one in 2010 some time with "wave 4" of the Windows Live programs and services.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:31 PM