Windows Home Server Console error RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to log into my Windows Home Server Console I get the following error message: "This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restarted try again in a few minutes." All other functions of the server work properly and I have been able to successfully do a backup of this computer. I have verified that I have all of the latest software updates on both the computer and server. This is the second computer that I installed Connector on.

The problem computer is a Dell laptop running Vista Home Premium. I ran the Windows Home Server Tool kit and the list of errors was so long that it was totally useless. Nothing I have tried allows me to access the server from this computer but I can access all of the folders and files.
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 8:25 PM

Answers

• Olaf

I finally fixed the problem I found that the firewall was blocking some transmission. When I removed that block everything started working.

Thanks for you help and patience.

Tom
    • Marked as answer by Tom2490 Sunday, January 31, 2010 2:56 PM
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 2:56 PM

All replies

• What is it for a Windows Home Server model - self built or OEM?
    If the system is self built, could the reason be that from the FAQ How to handle error message “The Password is incorrect” attempting console access?
    Did you try to reset settings in the console from the Options field below the password field?
    Can you access the server via Remote Desktop?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 8:57 PM
  • Olaf

My server is an HP ex475 MediaSmart Home Server. Since I am just setting up my system I have not enabled remote access. The interesting thing is that the backup function on the laptop works fine, I just cannot access the server or files. Everything works fine on the the other computer on the network.

Tom
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:43 PM
  • Hi Tom,
    what is the output of ipconfig /all on a client?
    Can you ping/access the server a) by internal name, b) by internal IP address? Is the result in both cases the expected?
    Please check also the FAQ How to Troubleshoot Network Connection Problems with Windows Home Server to see, if a misconfiguration on the router causes the issue.

Olaf
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:18 PM
  • Olaf

Thanks for the link to the troubleshooting guide. I went through the information and was still not able to resolve the issue. When I sent a ping command by either using the server name or IP address, the server was not found. I checked my router and the main computer, server, and laptop were all on the same subnet (192.168.1.???). Here is a copy of the IP config file from my laptop:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]

Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Tom>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mobile-PC

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : .

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : .

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-E8-11-73-23

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::89a0:b1f1:863f:bc12%10(Preferred)

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.102(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 27, 2010 7:23:47 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 28, 2010 7:23:46 PM

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 167777256

DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-0D-FF-DB-F7-00-19-B9-71-58-E5

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 72.240.13.6

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controlle

r

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-B9-4F-00-68

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix   . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{F9A85DF4-2ED8-4D8F-B477-0F32A3FA1

CD3}

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : .

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap..

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

I do not know how to access the information on my server. It is an HP and the only way I can get to it is through the HP console. I hope this helps.

Thanks

Tom
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 2:14 AM
  • The DNS Server could be a reason - its an external one (all 3 addresses are external, anyway only one will be really used by the client). As in the FAQ already referred too states, the router (192.168.1.1)should be set as DNS server enty on the client site, so that it redirects only calls which are definitively for external addresses to the DNS server of the ISP.
    If you do not use the wired connection, it may make sense to disable the adapter in device manager.
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:54 PM
  • Olaf

I tried to do an ipconfig/release and received the message "The required operation requires elevation". I then tried ipconfig/renew. This did not make any changes. I guess I need to remove the DNS server address. I then went in and changed the DNS server address to 192.168.1.1. This seems to fix things so the Windows Home Server Console will work. Still no file access. The server is visible in Explorer and has the correct DNS address listed in Properties. The client cannot find the server when I double click on it. I still get the same error message.
    Friday, January 29, 2010 2:45 AM
  • If the router is misconfigured to hand out these external DNS servers via DHCP directly to the clients, a simple release/renew would not change anything.
    The configuration change must be done in the routers configuration interface - check its manual.
    The elevation message comes up, because you did not start the cmd prompt via right click/Run as Administrator.
    Olaf
    Friday, January 29, 2010 1:41 PM
  • sorry for cross-posting...
    I still have a similar issue (with an HP EX470) - and no solution.
    Nobby1805 gave me an hint regarding the special OEM version from HP, perhaps the reason is together with PP3?
    It' s a german forum, the link to the issue is http://forum.home-server-blog.de/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8731&p=64353#p64353

Best regards
    Wonko
    Friday, January 29, 2010 9:13 PM
  • Olaf

Still no access to the files on the server. I checked my router (linksys WRT54G) and it is mostly set at the factory defaults. The DHCP is set to auto.
    It seems strange that it will run the backup without a problem but will not access the files.

Update
    I decided to reload the server software. I removed both the connector and server from the client. I then tried to reload the software from a USB drive. The software will not load. It cannot find the server. Now I have nothing on the laptop.

I tried to add a network place as described in the HP EX475 user guide but the instruction would not work. See instruction below.

To install from the server using Windows Vista
    1 At the computer, click Start, and then click Network.
    2 Under Network Tasks, click Add a network place.
    3 In the Network Place Wizard, use the following UNC network
    address:
    \\<name of the server>\software
    For example, \\HPSERVER\software
    When the wizard completes, you should see the name you chose for the
    network place in the window.
    4 Double-click the network place, and then open the Home Server
    Connector Software folder.
    5 Double-click Install.exe and follow the instructions on the installation
    wizards.

Note: Network discovery must be turned on to access the server.

First I verified that Network discovery is on. Then following the instructions I tried to find the "Network tasks" link. That link does not exist and I could go not further.
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 3:14 AM
  • A router set to factory defaults does not mean, that the factory defaults (or the defaults the ISP determines as useful) are really making sense.
    Especially reaching external DNS server addresses out directly to the clients via DHCP or attaching DNS Search suffixes is often causing issues.

Anyway, if you cannot find the server by pinging the IP address (which you should find in the info pages of the router and without that functioning also a workaround with hosts file would fail) the server either hangs and needs a reboot or something else is wrong (installed security software on the server, which does not belong to it or is misconfigured, network hardware broken or whatever. Hard to say for a headless device, which can only be controlled via network and some LEDs.

With Vista ensure, that the network is set to a private type (Home or Workplace) and that file and print sharing is enabled for the client in network center.

If all doesn't work, I would recommend to attempt a server recovery or factory reset.

Olaf
    • Unmarked as answer by Tom2490 Sunday, January 31, 2010 2:56 PM
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 10:13 PM
  • Olaf

I finally fixed the problem I found that the firewall was blocking some transmission. When I removed that block everything started working.

Thanks for you help and patience.

Tom
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 2:56 PM
  • I am having a similar issues, can you tell me what you did? PLEASE!

Saturday, September 4, 2010 7:05 PM