Upgrading to OEM - how long? RRS feed

• Question

• Been running RC. Just bought the OEM.

Have a total of 8 HD with just about 2.5 TB. (50% free space)

Booted from DVD, ran "Server Reinstallation", have now come to "Installing Windows Home Server". The box is clearly working, but the status line has not moved at all for 2 hours now.

Anyone got any idea how long this upgrade will take?   (I mean is it not just some indexes the "new" server imports from RC)?

Kim

Saturday, December 1, 2007 1:55 PM

Answers

• Upgrading/re-installing server went smooth. Everything is working - and I did not loose any data - not even backup's!!

One happy WHS user

Kim

Saturday, December 1, 2007 6:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Kim

There have been postings in the past with people talking about the upgrading taking many hours, sometimes even a day plus!

I think you may have to be patient for a while - can you tell if there is any activity on the machine itself (ie, drives spinning)?

Andrew

Saturday, December 1, 2007 2:31 PM
  • Got tired of waiting. Ctlr-Alt-Del - forced at reboot......and somehow that triggered the setup, now the installation of the Home Server software is running smooth and fast.....looks like it will be less than 10 min.

Kim

Saturday, December 1, 2007 2:47 PM
  • Kim

thats good then! I assume its finished by now - is everything working out and your data fine?

Andrew

Saturday, December 1, 2007 4:54 PM
  • Upgrading/re-installing server went smooth. Everything is working - and I did not loose any data - not even backup's!!

One happy WHS user

Kim

Saturday, December 1, 2007 6:15 PM
  •  PresidentK wrote:
    Upgrading/re-installing server went smooth. Everything is working - and I did not loose any data - not even backup's!!

One happy WHS user

Kim

I assume you used the same primary drive as before, right?  If so, you should be ok.  However, if you ever need to replace the primary drive, you need to let the process finish to recreate the reparse points (no matter how long it takes, which can be a day or two in some cases).

Saturday, December 1, 2007 6:21 PM