none
Want to take on .NET as an application developer for both web and desktop. RRS feed

• Question

• I have had my hands on developing websites using asp and also design some desktop application using vb in the past. Now I want to really be an application developer using .NET for both web and desktop, what do I do and where should I start from? I am ready to go for some training if need be, but my budget is not really large and will like to know the specifics of what and what to train on to be an application developer of repute.

Thank you.

Monday, November 15, 2010 1:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I am doing it this way:

I am working myself through the Self-Paced Training Kits and I really play around with the stuff I read in there. That is a quite good preparation. Afterwards I work through some measureup practice tests where I want to be not only to tell the correct answer but also give reasons why other answeres are wrong. And at the end I do the exam and that is it.

At the moment, the Self-Paced Training Kits for the 4.0 exams are still not available. The first one (70-515) should be available in one month so maybe it could make sense to read some other book first. There are some goof books available about Web Development and you could use the month to work through that so you learn alot about master pages and all this stuff. Then you can much quicker go through the training kit later.

Or you just work with the 3.5 books. So you could get the 70-562 book and start working through it and in one month you just have to compare what differences are there.

Or you can even go and just start the 3.5 exams.

I hope I was able to point you to a starting point for your exams. I would normaly suggest to use the latest technology. Only if you want to get a quick MCPD in Web Development, 3.5 could be faster because you only need 3 exams. But you want to get the application development, too. And you should not keep important technology out! So the 4.0 ones are quite good even if the MCPD includes WCF and ADO.Net exams! (Which was only part of the enterprise MCPD in 3.5!)

Konrad

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:50 AM
    Answerer