Lockups :-( RRS feed

• Question

•  

Here's the system I built up for WHS:

XFX motherboard with nVidia N73PV chipset (onboard video w/HDMI, 10/100/100 ethernet, etc.)

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.3G with 1333 front side bus

4G DDR2 800MHz (PC2-8500)

1TB SATA HD

Blu-Ray/DVD/CD

Installation went fine, though I initially wanted to put a 40G ATA drive in as the boot device. The install wouldn't let me, it insisted that the SATA needed to be the boot. :-( Most of the motherboard features are not working because no drivers found on the WHS install disk. I installed the driver for the ethernet from the disk supplied by the manufacturer and figured Windows Update would find the rest. I think this was the XP driver, not the Vista but I'm not positive.

If I leave things in the BIOS setup screen it'll run for hours without an issue, CPU temp stays nominal (33C) and all voltages look normal. If I boot to the OS, things lockup (no mouse movement) after a few minutes... Way too short of a time typically than would be required for Windows Update to find and install updates.

Any ideas on how I should proceed?

Monday, March 17, 2008 5:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Quite an overspec'd system for a WHS server!

Firstly, WHS won't install on anything smaller than 80GB. It's a hard coded limitation. (Microsoft recommend that you use your largest available drive at the time of building).

It sounds as though your SATA disk isn't being recognised, you either need to load the required drivers - twice - (once for the Server 2003 portion and then again for the WHS portion,) for it, or you could try changing it's settings in the BIOS to something similar to IDE compatibility mode.

Any drivers that you use, need to be Server 2003 versions, as that is what WHS is built on. Windows Update won't run until you get the system running properly.

Colin

Monday, March 17, 2008 6:17 PM
  • Yeah, a nit of overkill, but I was hoping to eventually use it as a Blu-Ray player in the main room, since it's got this nifty HDMI connector and the Blu-Ray disk installed. (After all, WHS is going to be spending almost all it's time doing nothing.)

The SATA side of things works just great, as long as I don't ask the system to use the ATA 40G drive as C:. Everything works fine as well when sitting in the BIOS setup screen. I'm guessing it's an issue with the ethernet, since WHS didn't recognize the ethernet port initially. I've sent XFX a question to see if they've done any testing yet with WHS, but the CD that comes with only has XP and Vista drivers. This is an nVidia chipset and my first fallback plan is to see if they have 2003 Server drivers, if the XFX folks and MS can't come up with some. The other drivers for the motherboard aren't as critical, but ethernet is kind of a 'must have' for this type of system.

Best regards,

Bill Seymour

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 4:54 AM
  • OK Bill,

Don't forget that WHS does all sorts of things in the background, also, being built on 2003, it doesn't have the facilities to act as a 'normal' computer. For example, it could very quite a slog to get video drivers to work for anything above bog-standard vga. Server 2003 doesn't recognise things like sound cards or other desktop add-ins.

I would reckon the 40G disk could be disposed off, WHS can't make use of it really, as each disk in the system has 20GB reserved, no matter what size the disk. Also, it has to have C & D on the same disk - that's how it sets itself up initially.

Good luck with the 2003 drivers.

Colin

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 6:13 PM