none
app icon not not being displayed RRS feed

• Question

• I have an app where the icon is both on the form as the form icon & in the assy ifo as the app icon.

I have the app set in startup which does just that & the icon is visible in the task bar as the app is run as minimized.

However if i have to run the app from the windows start menu the icon does not display, why?

Friday, May 11, 2018 5:42 AM

Answers

• The app is installed using msi on windows 10

It is the shortcuts in the start menu so I suppose it is the icon for the shortcut, maybe in early days I did not have the icon & because it is in most used the shortcut got the icon as default. I have renamed the original shortcut which now shows the renamed shortcut(still with the old icon) & I have created a new start menu shortcut which has the correct icon in the start menu folder (the other one did not) so i will wait and see if the new shortcut is referenced in the most used in a few days.

I am now convinced it is not a vb programming issue so will wait & see what happens then put it in windows forum.

Thanks for suggestions so far

Sunday, May 13, 2018 5:45 AM

All replies

• Thank you for your prompt reply, will try & check it out tomorrow
    Friday, May 11, 2018 6:41 AM
  • If the previous reply does not resolve the issue, please tell us:

1. Where does "the icon not display"?  In the start menu link, or in the Taskbar?
    2. If it is the Taskbar, is there a button with no icon, a button with the default icon, or no button at all?
    3. How did you publish the application?

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Friday, May 11, 2018 10:29 AM
  • What do the startup shortcut and start menu shortcut show for the path of the app? Perhaps one isn't pointing to the same .exe as the other.

If you click on the .Exe its icon shows up in the TaskBar does it not?

La vida loca

Friday, May 11, 2018 3:59 PM
  • The first suggestion by using another user results in same issue

The shortcut is the same location for the exe as in the side bar program listing.

the icon in the task bar is correct when executed by the startup link to the app

When app is run from sidebar program listing the app icon is in the taskbar with an icon that looks like a document with an arrow in the bottom left hand corner

The app was published, in vb as "build solution" like everything else I do.

Saturday, May 12, 2018 5:30 AM
  • I have just noticed something, you get so used to things being how you expect them to be but overlook the finer details.

The reason for the icon in the taskbar is because the ison in the side bar program listing(most used) is the document with the arrow, therefore, obviously it will run with that icon.how do i correct the entry in the sidebar?

Saturday, May 12, 2018 5:45 AM
  • I have just noticed something, you get so used to things being how you expect them to be but overlook the finer details.

The reason for the icon in the taskbar is because the ison in the side bar program listing(most used) is the document with the arrow, therefore, obviously it will run with that icon.how do i correct the entry in the sidebar?

What version of Windows are you using?  Can you clarify your use of the term "SideBar"?

The SideBar is a left-over from the Vista/7 era and while it still exists in Win10, gadgets are no longer part of Win10 by default.  There are some 3rd party apps that can add gadgets to Win10.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Saturday, May 12, 2018 12:27 PM

Please show a picture of the windows desktop with your app and describe what you mean or an image showing the problem.

How do you install the application on the deployment system?
    Saturday, May 12, 2018 3:23 PM
  • Where would the icon in the "side bar" come from? The .exe only has one icon assigned to it doesn't it included with the installer I suppose.

By "side bar" do you mean shortcuts startup location or start menu?

La vida loca

Saturday, May 12, 2018 7:45 PM
  • The app is installed using msi on windows 10

It is the shortcuts in the start menu so I suppose it is the icon for the shortcut, maybe in early days I did not have the icon & because it is in most used the shortcut got the icon as default. I have renamed the original shortcut which now shows the renamed shortcut(still with the old icon) & I have created a new start menu shortcut which has the correct icon in the start menu folder (the other one did not) so i will wait and see if the new shortcut is referenced in the most used in a few days.

I am now convinced it is not a vb programming issue so will wait & see what happens then put it in windows forum.

Thanks for suggestions so far

Sunday, May 13, 2018 5:45 AM