cpu cache size and clock speed for WHS RRS feed

• Question

•  

How important is cache size in a server environment. Im guessing its important since opteron/xeon cores usually have higher than desktop variety. If I had a cpu with clock of 2200 with 512m cache or a 1800 with 1 mb cache running at same bus speed, which would you prefer for WHS environment?
    Sunday, April 13, 2008 3:30 PM

Answers

• Further to Colin's point, you're going to be better off going with a low power processor and more RAM. WHS streaming capabilities don't do any transcoding, so that's really a question of how fast you can pull data off the drive. And any drive can stream data more than fast enough to satisfy full HD requirements.

As a point of comparision, my dev/demo server has an Intel E2160 (Dual Core) and 2 GB of RAM. It delivers stellar performance for anything I want to use it for.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 12:41 AM

All replies

• The short answer is, whichever one has the lowest power consumption!

The ones you're referring to, are really for servers which have dozen or even hundreds of clients accessing at the same time. WHS doesn't strain any reasonable processor, and your choice really depends on what you intend doing - streaming multiple HD streams or what. Your other hardware will also then come into play.

Colin 

Sunday, April 13, 2008 4:50 PM
  • Further to Colin's point, you're going to be better off going with a low power processor and more RAM. WHS streaming capabilities don't do any transcoding, so that's really a question of how fast you can pull data off the drive. And any drive can stream data more than fast enough to satisfy full HD requirements.

As a point of comparision, my dev/demo server has an Intel E2160 (Dual Core) and 2 GB of RAM. It delivers stellar performance for anything I want to use it for.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 12:41 AM