none
How much RAM can a Windows Home Server OS handle? RRS feed

• Question

• I am thinking of using Windows Home Server in a clients office as a smaller backup for his 3 computers. ATM I have everything in the case and the OS up and running, yet I want to use as much RAM in it as possible. My Motherboard supports up to 8GB of RAM, but the few sites that I have found that even mention the amount of RAM possible either use only 2GB or the minimum 512MB. I understand that more isn't exactly needed, but for a small business I would like to throw in it as much as possible to both be on the safe side and so that in the future as hardware becomes obsolete, I don't have to add more and have the customer ask me why I did not install it earlier. (Trying to stay ahead of the curve.)  The Microsoft site only tells the minimum requirements and after 4 hours of searching on the internet I have given in and turned to this forum. Any help on this would be magnificent and very much welcome. Thank you.
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 5:33 PM

Answers

• The OS itself will use up to 4 GB of RAM. However, I expect that you will see minimal benefit past the 2 GB mark.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Lara JonesModerator Tuesday, February 3, 2009 8:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Gakkor Wednesday, February 4, 2009 4:17 AM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 6:07 PM

All replies

• The OS itself will use up to 4 GB of RAM. However, I expect that you will see minimal benefit past the 2 GB mark.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Lara JonesModerator Tuesday, February 3, 2009 8:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Gakkor Wednesday, February 4, 2009 4:17 AM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 6:07 PM
  • Ok, Thank you.
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 6:47 PM