[MSN] Money Portfolio manager not working. RRS feed

• General discussion

• My online MSN money portfolio manager isn't working tonight.  Any one else having this problem?

Fran

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:32 AM

All replies

• I am having the same problem.  Only getting #VALUE strings returned.  Also, my web query (.iqy) file that has

been working for years is now truncating the returned values after 50 stock market quote strings.  Anybody

else having problems?

Dean

Dean E. McKaig

Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:52 PM
  • Mine isn't working on two different computers.  Hope they get this fixed soon.

Scott

Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:56 PM
  • I, too, am having this problem.  It seemed to begin early (PST) on 6-19-13.
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 4:46 PM
  • Seeing that this app is unsupported by the  msn money folks, how do we get somebody/anybody to give theserver a nudge to fix our problem.  Also, anybody know if a web query string has a new limit/length restriction.  I seem to be able to return only 50 stock quotes at a time and the rest are truncated (not data).  A couple of days ago and for the past several year I was getting about 120 quotes returned without a problem from a single string in an iqy web query file.

Dean E. McKaig

Thursday, June 20, 2013 7:47 PM
  • I am having the exact same problem, especially on money market fund quotes.  They aren't showing the $1.00 per share value in the "Last" column, and therefore, in my market value columns, I'm getting a whole bunch of "N/A"s.  My frustration is -- who's minding the store, and how can we contact them?
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:17 PM
  • I too am experiencing issues, happens on both my systems.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:30 PM
  • I have sent an email to the MSN Support site:

https://support.msn.com/default.aspx?mkt=en-us

It is a support home, but it has a link for contact regarding MSN Money.   It is only email support, but on the form they request you complete, they do offer Portfolio Manager as one of the problem area options.  So I selected that and let them know what is going on and also gave them a link to this thread.  Keep your fingers crossed.

Scott

Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:19 PM
  • The portfolio manager at:

http://moneycentral.msn.com/stock_portfolio

is not retrieving market data for me. This happened the same time the portfolio manager completely disappeared on the Canadian site although that was a planned event.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:10 PM
  • I contacted them as well, they replied that it was fixed even though the problem persists :(

• Edited by JKelly Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:32 PM Spelling
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:12 PM
  • Still not working.  I will email support again.

Fran

Friday, June 21, 2013 3:47 AM
  • I too have now emailed them. Hopefully the more people that correspond the more attention it may gain.

Friday, June 21, 2013 7:32 AM
  • This is why I suppose we should fear operating off of the cloud...
    Friday, June 21, 2013 1:35 PM
  • I have discovered that if I add a transaction, the market values compute.  So by doing this (even entering a cypher transaction), you can get a snap hot of your positions.

I sent yet another email to the complaint center.

Scott

Friday, June 21, 2013 2:54 PM
  • Hey, Scott, the investments I'm having trouble with are money market funds.  PM no longer will show the $1.00 per share value, so all my market values are "N/A."  I tried to add a transaction, but it won't accept it, because PM is "unable to retrieve quotes" on any ticker ending in XX.  This is a real mess, and I hope they get it fixed, but I am not optimistic.
    Friday, June 21, 2013 4:48 PM
  • Hello Folks-

Here is an excerpt from the reply I got back from my query to  the Money Support Team:

"Our Money team is aware of this issue and working on the resolution at the earliest. Please bear with us"

And, I tried the transaction add thingy and no cigar.  I even tried to reboot (that worked once for me a while back) but no no cigar.  So, I guess I am going to hold tight for now.  WOW you really can appreciate how much work this application is doing when you have to go back in your process and post it manually ... phew!

Dean E. McKaig

Friday, June 21, 2013 6:50 PM
  • Just got the same "bear with us" from support team today.  My portfolio comes up with all my accounts with stock names but none of the data on the right of the screen.  Has been doing this for me for at least the last three or four days.  two of my stocks have partial data, the rest - NONE.  Not holding my breath.

Friday, June 21, 2013 9:18 PM
  • My windows 7 machine can get the portfolio manager working about 50% of the time, but so far none of my OSX (mac) machines have worked with it for over 3 days now. I really hope they fix this soon. 
    Saturday, June 22, 2013 12:03 AM
  • So, still not working for me this morning.....

Does anyone know how to export your data from the online msn portfolio manager?  There used to be a file the portfolio manager used located on your local computer.  However, I think they changed that as I can no longer find this file.

Monday, June 24, 2013 2:14 PM
  • Unfortunately no way to currently export data, the file you mention was from the previous portfolio manager interface. With it having been down for almost a week it is getting frustrating but hopefully they are truly working hard at fixing this.

Monday, June 24, 2013 2:39 PM
  • Monday, 11:09 EDT

Windows 7 Portfolio manager works partially, but money market is really screwed up.  Windows Vista shows correct accounts but data on money market accounts still not showing last, market value, just N/A.   With MAC OS X (on iMAc and MacAir) still no last quotes, change, market values, today's gain/loss and N/A for money market just the accounts with stock names, long basis, quantity.  Have sent 3 emails since early Sunday morning.  Had 2 responses, first the standard we're working on it and the last that MSN Portfolio only supports Windows.   Hope they fix this soon.  My OS X system was working in Europe from 6/6/13 until 6/19/13.

Monday, June 24, 2013 3:12 PM
  • Unfortunately no way to currently export data, the file you mention was from the previous portfolio manager interface. With it having been down for almost a week it is getting frustrating but hopefully they are truly working hard at fixing this.

I was afraid of that.  I would hope they are working hard to fix this as they're essentially holding our data hostage.  I've been using portfolio manager for over 10 years and the prospect of having to re-enter everything in another program because they can't get this fixed is daunting to say the least.
    Monday, June 24, 2013 3:31 PM
  • Same situation here -- 10 years, with no desire to change programs.  Having said that, however, I suppose we should prepare for the worst.  SO WHAT OTHER GOOD PROGRAM ALTERNATIVES DO WE HAVE?
    Monday, June 24, 2013 3:38 PM
  • For me only money market funds are not working. All other equities are reporting fine. I have FGMXX (Fidelity) that will not display the $1 NAV, and when you try to get a quote on FGMXX from MSN, it says it is not found. Tried many other MM funds but none seem to work any more on MSM. Yahoo quotes them OK still. Please fix Microsoft!
    Monday, June 24, 2013 3:55 PM
  • I'm also waiting for a solution...
    Monday, June 24, 2013 5:12 PM
  • Still dead in the water as of 1:45PM this afternoon, 6/24/2013.  Just for yuks, I uninstalled and re-installed MSN

Money (that fixed a problem I was having once before) but all my #VALUES! are now returned as #NAME? for all the

query cells.

I am starting to loose all confidence the MS is serious about fixing this dinosaur application.  So,  I am beginning the

painful process of re-engineering my process to use the inferior (limited detail) web query (.iqy) files instead of

the extremely comprehensive MSN Money application

Dean E. McKaig

Monday, June 24, 2013 5:55 PM
  • Same situation here -- 10 years, with no desire to change programs.  Having said that, however, I suppose we should prepare for the worst.  SO WHAT OTHER GOOD PROGRAM ALTERNATIVES DO WE HAVE?

That's a really good question.  I've been researching for hours and don't like what I've found.  There's 'personal capital', however, you have to give it your account #'s and passwords which is a little daunting. It'll load in all your info from your brokerage for you.  The big drawback is it starts calculating your rate of return from when you import your portfolio, not from when you actually bought your securities.  Huge drawback.  I also read that if you have more than 100k in assets you start getting cold calls from them with a hard sell to use their financial advisors.

The most promising, in my opinion, is Google Finance portfolio.  If you can create csv files of your data from your brokerage, google portfolio can import them.  The one thing I don't like about google portfolio is that it doesn't include dividend payments as part of the rate of return calculation.  I think that's a huge oversite on their part.

Apart from those two, the other portfolio managers I've seen only allow you to enter each security purchase separately, no import function.  This just isn't feasible with the amount of data I've accumulated over the years.

Oh, one other option is Quicken.  You have to pay for the software.  Unfortunately, they don't have a free trial version so I can't tell if it's something that will work for me or does what I want it to do, such as import data and calculate rate of returns from when the securities were purchased.  Does it include dividend payments in it's rate of return calculations?  I don't know.   I've also read that the Quicken 2013 version is laden with bugs and flaws as they try to move to a more cloud based approach.

It's coming up on a week and I'm starting to lose faith that MSN will fix the portfolio manager.  I thought I remember reading something about them not even supporting the portfolio manager any more?  If they let it flail, I would hope they would have the decency to allow their users to obtain their data file.

Monday, June 24, 2013 9:24 PM
  • Ok.  My portfolio is partially working now with the exception of my master limited partnership stocks like EPD, WES and KMR.    And none of my mutual fund symbols are updating either.   I hope they don't terminate this Portfolio Manager.  It's the best one out there in my opinion.  And I've been using it for over 10 years now.   I have an  account at Vanguard that goes out and grabs my accounts at Merrill Lynch every day, updates the values and puts them under one umbrella at Vanguard with my mutual funds I have there.  But, Portfolio Manager does more than this because it tracks history accurately and I like the custom views I can create.

Fran

Monday, June 24, 2013 10:38 PM
  • Did you have to do anything to get it to partially work?  Mine's still 100% not working...
    Tuesday, June 25, 2013 1:32 AM
  • Mine is partially working now. It's been down for a few days and still have some holdings not able to get quote. I can add new holdings with no problem.

I think it's the server problem and there is nothing we can do about it but just waiting.

Yahoo portfolio manager is more stable but can do less compare to MSN portfolio. I am considering transfering all my data to yahoo.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 1:09 PM
  • Portfolio manager has been down for a week.  I emailed help line and they said to optimize MSN Explorer but I am an MAC user.  All of my securities and accounts show up and it updates but no dollar amounts show up.  I have been thinking of moving to Smart money, Morningstar or Yahoo but I hate to input all the data again.  Now I know why I moved to Apple their help is incredible.  Does any one think they will actually fix this problem?
    Tuesday, June 25, 2013 2:04 PM
  • Did you have to do anything to get it to partially work?  Mine's still 100% not working...

Correction---my mutual funds are updating also.   The only problem I am having right now is my Master Limited Partnership stocks are not updating. 

Fran

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 2:24 PM

I did not do anything special to get it partially working.  It just came back yesterday.

Fran

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 2:26 PM
  • Portfolio manager has been down for a week.  I emailed help line and they said to optimize MSN Explorer but I am an MAC user.  All of my securities and accounts show up and it updates but no dollar amounts show up.  I have been thinking of moving to Smart money, Morningstar or Yahoo but I hate to input all the data again.  Now I know why I moved to Apple their help is incredible.  Does any one think they will actually fix this problem?
    I don't use Explorer on my PC.  I use Firefox.  It's not an issue with the browser.  It's probably a software update that Microsoft did and it messed things up.

Fran

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 2:28 PM
  • Well, darn it.  Mine's still not even partially working..... 

It's been a week, this is ridiculous.  

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 2:48 PM
  • How do I POST a question the MS Money forum?  It is: "money 2006 deluxe: how can I create a report on (or isolate) unreconciled transactions in a bank account?"

david

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:26 PM
  • To answer you question about posting, - you just did.

To see un-reconciled transactions in an account, go to Reports and select the "Account Transactions" shown in the "Income and Expense" group.  Select that report and then "Customize" and select the "Details" tab.  You will see the option you need.

If that isn't what you need, I suggest that you start a new thread since this is a new issue.

Bill Becker

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:38 PM
  • The online portfolio manager has started retrieving data for me this afternoon for some stocks but not others. It's strange, it will pull data for say 10-20 stocks in a row, then skip 10-20, then pull in another group, no apparent pattern. The data for the ones it does not retrieve all show quotes fine when I click on the symbol. Well at least it is an improvement, hopefully they will fix the rest soon.
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 2:25 AM
  • I have had the same problem for the past 7 days.

My 30 stock portfolio is still there but there are no more daily stock quotes.

I tried calling Microsoft at 1-800-642-7676. I get a long run-around and they eventually disconnect.

I don't think the problem is with my computer. We need to ask Microsoft to fix this or else tell us they are working on it.

Ed

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 2:48 AM
  • kayakalot, the problem is a new quote server they implemented without fully testing. They are aware of it and working to fix it. The following page is linked from the main page of MSN Money indicating such.

http://money.msn.com/common/now-on-msn-money-new-quote-data-pages

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 2:53 AM
  • Looks like they have partially fixed the issue. Equity data is being updated but target prices are being expressed in p rather than £ and hence 100 fold too low.
    • Edited by Geezer2000 Wednesday, June 26, 2013 7:18 AM Updated
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:25 AM
  • kayakalot, the problem is a new quote server they implemented without fully testing. They are aware of it and working to fix it. The following page is linked from the main page of MSN Money indicating such.

http://money.msn.com/common/now-on-msn-money-new-quote-data-pages

Thanks for showing us the link.

Fran

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 3:53 PM
  • At least I know why mine stopped working.  I have been using PM since at least 1999, probably longer.

Mine is still completely non-functional on Vista and 7 using IE9.

My data is there, just no update.  Realized gains are shown though.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 7:48 PM
  • Your welcome Fran, hopefully they truly are working on it, with this taking over a week though and no further update, I am beginning to have my doubts as to how important a priority it is for them. On the Canadian MSN site they got rid of the entire portfolio manager, although they at least gave plenty of warning.
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 7:56 PM
  • I have also noticed that the 6 month percentage change column option has recently disappeared, presumably for good.

Scott

Friday, June 28, 2013 1:45 PM
  • The Last Updated column also disappeared. :(
    Friday, June 28, 2013 5:02 PM
  • Hi there,

I heard that MSN has dropped their Canadian Portfolio Manager and have retired it. Here's the headline (sorry...cant seem to include the link. But this story is on social dot microsoft dot com)

MSN Money Investing Portfolio Tools to be retired on or after May 27, 2013

Question: How can I retrieve all my TRANSACTIONS (hundreds of them) into electronic form (perhaps Excel)?

Thanks in advance

Friday, June 28, 2013 7:15 PM
  • Hello there,

Yes, they have "retired" PM as of May 27 3013.

Check out

"http:// money . ca .msn . com/investing/insight/msn-money-investing-portfolio-tools-to-be-retired-on-or-after-may-27-2013-1 "

Id really be interested in knowing if anyone knows how to import/export Transaction data out of the tool.

Friday, June 28, 2013 7:39 PM
  • Greetings Patient People-

I have a test MS Excel spreadsheet that retrieves all 25 MSN Money property arguments associated with stock symbol

MSFT.  All 25 components (arguments) return #VALUE! string when refreshed.

It has now been over 7 working days since this  function stopped functioning properly.  Can anybody from MS comment

as to the latest ETA for a fix to this problem?

Dean E. McKaig

Friday, June 28, 2013 8:15 PM
  • I just checked once again and lo and behold!  Mine has suddenly started working.  I had just sent off a long email to them saying what we all have been discussing and like magic I now have a full program.  Of course the email had nothing to do with it, just a strange coincidence.  Good luck everyone.  I did not do a thing to fix it, just sat around cursing it.

Friday, June 28, 2013 9:53 PM
  • Mine started working about an hour again - just out of the blue.  Hang in there, they must be getting it done.  Hooray!!

Friday, June 28, 2013 10:40 PM
  • Cool, looks like something was done as all but 3 symbols are working for me which are all on OTCQB marketplace. Other than the issue with OTCQB  symbols, the only other issues that I would like to see fixed are adding the last updated column back and reverting back to putting the data in a container that is not fixed width so we don't have to scroll horizontally to see all the columns.

• Edited by JKelly Saturday, June 29, 2013 1:05 AM Edit
    Saturday, June 29, 2013 12:39 AM
  • My money market funds still not updating.
    Sunday, June 30, 2013 1:50 AM
  • Has anyone managed to get a money market quote to work or, alternatively, added a 'cash' balance by some means?
    Sunday, June 30, 2013 3:26 PM
  • None of my money market quotes are coming in, and haven't since June 19.  I had been using lots of money market funds as proxies for assets on which I can't get market quotes -- like land, closely-held stock, etc.  So with no quotes coming in, the portfolio manager is basically useless.  I am extremely frustrated. 

Peter L Peterson

Sunday, June 30, 2013 11:05 PM
  • Finally working this morning.
    Monday, July 1, 2013 2:41 PM
  • Yes, my portfolio is also finally working, in all respects, except of course that the six month return column has disappeared.  It seems that the quotes are now appearing real time, but I have not rigorously investigated this.  Thanks Microsoft for not abondoning us on this.  Portfolio Manager is a useful tool.

Scott

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 3:42 AM
  • Money Market Funds (example: FGMXX) are still not working for me!!!!!!!!! Without these there is no way to show cash that is parked on the sidelines.
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 7:21 PM
  • Still not working. Two full weeks now. Can't track cash without money market fund quotes. Also, not returning quote for another stock that is properly listed. Would be nice if someone at Microsoft would communicate with us from time to time to let us know if they are working on it.
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 9:38 PM
  • I'm in the UK and the last updates to stock prices in my Portfolio, were about 15.00 UK time on the 1st July.

Attempted to manually amend to the correct closing prices, whenever the program updates prices it overwrites any manually entered updates for 1st July.

So it would seem that MS Money is still downloading prices, but these are stuck on 1st July over here.

If I enter prices for 2nd or 3rd July these are not overwritten.

Would love this to be fixed soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 2:55 PM
  • When MS discontinued MS Money, and when they moved Portfolio Manager to Silverlight and dropped cash tracking and a bunch of other features, I committed to finding a reasonable alternative, just in case they pulled the plug. I have found two:

1) Porfolio Mobile - Primarily made for Ipad. Runs on Iphone, and there is a limited version for Android. Synchs accross platforms (but not automatically). You can run the Android version on your PC with Bluestacks). This is a very, very deep portfolio management app, with way more features than MSN PM. It is now my primary backup to MSN PM, and thank God I had my portfolio up and running in it before the current MS crash.

2) Personal Capital - This one just came out. Totally cross platform - Ipad, Windows, Android, with automatic synching accross all of them. This is the only app I've found that can successfully import and update ALL my accounts, including one that I've had to always manually update in MSN PM. Looks like a serious venture-capital-backed startup that is after the MINT/Intuit market in a big way. A bit more Mint-y than I'd like, and not the strongest on deep portfolio analysis (so far I don't see my realized/un-realized gain/loss on a per position basis, for example), but for a real-time-ish net worht snapshot, it looks good.

My 2 cents, discounted to 1 cent here on MSN Money forums.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 4:45 PM
  • Same here, but since Microsoft don't support Money any more, who would fix it, and why?<object height="1" id="plugin0" style=";z-index:1000;" type="application/x-dgnria" width="1"><param name="tabId" value="{C8A348B0-F15B-4740-8732-530D420F2FF7}" /></object>
    Wednesday, July 3, 2013 5:02 PM
  • I have an old XT machine with Excel 2003.  I re-installed MS Stock Quotes and am getting the following error

message 2 times during the install

"Could not load an object because it is not available on this machine"

Could anybody out there tell me what objects I am missing that the install process is looking for?

And, I am still getting #VALUE! values returned to my update parameters.

Dean E. McKaig

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 6:36 PM
  • I (like many others) am still running the uk version of money version 14.0.120.1105 on Win 7. But on 2 July I and many others noticed that uk stock prices are not being updated. No problem before that time. (http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=62218391#post62218391).

Yes I know MS no longer supports this fantastic programme (why?). But surely there is a fix. Nobody has yet provided a programme to match its abilities. I need to sort this problem out!!

So suggestions please - what's happened? Has the server been switched off? Do I have to update symbols? Is there another program to load in the stock price data?
    Wednesday, July 3, 2013 6:38 PM
  • Portfolio Manager is still not functioning correctly. The following describes the issue:

New BUY transaction is set up:

Number bought entered as 495

Price entered as 200

Commission entered as 10.00

Total shows £1000.00

Transaction is added

When transaction is reviewed, the price is showing 0.02p and total has changed to £19.90

I have submitted the issue to microsoft support

Sunday, July 7, 2013 9:00 PM
  • I'm in Australia using version 14.0.120.115 on Win 7 and it has worked fine for years. I'm very disappointed that it has stopped now. I contacted Microsoft a week ago and they said they were aware of the problem and working to resolve it.   Fingers cross they can.
    Monday, July 8, 2013 1:35 AM
  • I'm in Australia using version 14.0.120.115 on Win 7 and it has worked fine for years. I'm very disappointed that it has stopped now. I contacted Microsoft a week ago and they said they were aware of the problem and working to resolve it.   Fingers cross they can.

Did you hear any more from them?
    Monday, July 8, 2013 11:46 AM
  • Yes, on 3 July.

Our Money team is aware of this issue and working on the resolution at the earliest. Please bear with us.

Nothing more since.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 2:30 AM
  • Worth a gentle prod perhaps?

It might be nice to get some kind of update from them, perhaps with an idea of timescales of when / if they hope to have it sorted?

My fingers are getting sore from manually updating prices each day!

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 11:25 AM
  • FYI.....In an attempt to get back on track I tried CNN's portfolio manager which has a great deal of additional features. This may be an viable option if they cant get it fixed pretty soon.
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 5:27 PM
  • I've asked for an update on progress but have not heard back.  It would be good if everyone contacted Microsoft and asked. The might act sooner if there are more people requesting help.
    Friday, July 12, 2013 2:19 AM
  • I've asked for an update on progress but have not heard back.  It would be good if everyone contacted Microsoft and asked. The might act sooner if there are more people requesting help.

Happy to add some pressure, can you clarify how you contacted them?
    Friday, July 12, 2013 6:49 AM
  • I have sent an email to the MSN Support site:

https://support.msn.com/default.aspx?mkt=en-us

It is a support home, but it has a link for contact regarding MSN Money.   It is only email support, but on the form they request you complete, they do offer Portfolio Manager as one of the problem area options.  So I selected that and let them know what is going on and also gave them a link to this thread.  Keep your fingers crossed.

Scott

Great idea!  I sent a nice "I still use MS Money - it's good for MSN to maintain the service" email.  Can we all have a go? 
    Monday, July 15, 2013 2:42 PM

Happy to add some pressure, can you clarify how you contacted them?

I also used mailto:msnmoneyfeedback@microsoft.com?subject=New%20quote%2C%20data%20pages which is where they ask feedback to be sent from http://money.msn.com/common/now-on-msn-money-new-quote-data-pages  
    Monday, July 15, 2013 3:11 PM
  • I've also used 'msnmoneyfeedback@microsoft.com' but heard nothing back from them.

I had a response when I filled out an online form (I cannot recall where it was now).  This is the response..  I have followed it up but heard nothing yet.

From:Microsoft Customer Support [mailto:MONEY.MONY.WW.00.EN.CVG.BGL.TS.T01.SPT.00.EM@css.one.microsoft.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, 3 July 2013 9:29 PM
    To:
    Subject: SRX1210152416ID - MSN Money

Hello Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting Money Online Support Services.

I understand that the Portfolio is not updating as expected.  Please accept our sincere apologies regarding this matter.

Our Money team is aware of this issue and working on the resolution at the earliest. Please bear with us.

Thank you for your patience and we appreciate your continued support and strive to provide you with the highest quality service available.

Regards,

Bindu,

Money Online Support Services.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 2:10 AM
  • My email to mailto:msnmoneyfeedback@microsoft.com?subject=New%20quote%2C%20data%20pages got a similar reply today (2013-07-16).  That the reply is not identical encourages me to believe there's a real person involved addressing the problem!  It sets an expectation on a resolution date (bolded):

Hello Valued Customer,
    Thank you for contacting Money Online Support Services.
    I understand that the Portfolio is not updating as expected. Please accept our sincere apologies regarding this matter.
    Our Money team is aware of this issue and working on the resolution.
    We hope to fix the issue within 7 to10 days. Please bear with us.
    Thank you for your patience and we appreciate your continued support and strive to provide you with the highest quality service available.

Regards,
    Ranjith,
    Money Online Support Services.

So my fingers are crossed this will actually get resolved around the end of July. 

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 11:55 AM
  • Hello everyone.

Mine is finally working today. I was also having with my money market accounts. Just updated my portfolio and the correct total is there.

I have used this program for years. Thanks everyone for starting this message thread, giving hope, and giving suggestions. I did contact support services with no responding email. So glad they fixed the problem!!

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 2:35 PM
  • I got exactly the same letter June 24th and it still is not working....
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 4:01 PM
  • I received exactly the same email with the same subject # in June, and it is still not working....don't think they are doing anything about it
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 4:03 PM
  • I can report that as of this morning my MSM Money Portfolio Manager is all back to working again! All the money market funds (ex: FGMXX)  I use to track cash are reporting correctly now and all totals are correct again. Even though it took a while, thanks Microsoft!
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 1:46 PM
  • My Portfolio Manager is now working EXCEPT when I set up using Custom Settings. The settings last about one day before being erased. I then have to set them up all over again. Come on Microsoft....you're almost there! 
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 6:09 PM
  • I'm still not getting updates.  Are you using the web based product or desktop MS Money?  I use the desktop MS Money.

Friday, July 19, 2013 12:25 AM
  • I use desktop (MSN Money Premium). Win 7 via ATT DSL. Again, everything seems to work except Portfolio Manager's Custom View.....my custom settings are erased every day or so.  
    Friday, July 19, 2013 3:26 PM
  • OK, I think we are getting confused and talking about two different things here.

1. Microsoft Money - a legacy Microsoft program requiring software to be installed on a pc, from a purchased CD rom disc

2. MSN Money - a web based service that doesn't require any purchase of software to be installed.

From what I have gathered from various threads here, both use a “portfolio manager” to monitor stock prices and both stopped working properly around 1st July, when stock price updates for most stocks set up by people stalled.

It sounds like Microsoft changed the source for stock prices around then disabling stock price updates for both products.

It would appear that for MSN Money these are now working again, as this web based service has presumably been updated so that it gets stock prices from the new source.

As far as I am aware Microsoft Money is still not updating stock prices as unless changes are made to this software, such as a registry change, the program will not be able to get stock prices from the new source.

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I suspect that Microsoft won't be offering any updates for Microsoft Money as it killed it off several years ago.

So as far as I can see, to get Microsoft Money to receive stock price updates again, somebody needs to figure out;

1. Where the stock price updates for MSN Money are coming from, I have heard Morningstar mentioned?

2. Figure out how to tweak the software/ registry so that it downloads from this source.

Maybe I have oversimplified this, if so please put me straight!

• Edited by Dobtastic Friday, July 19, 2013 9:33 PM format
    Friday, July 19, 2013 9:22 PM
  • Yes, I'm using the legacy product, Microsoft Money.  Up until 2nd July (or there about) it was updating the stock prices (both US and Australian) without any problems.  I suspect that it drew the data from the same source as the web based service. 

Knowing that Microsoft had stopped supporting Microsoft Money, I've looked for an alternatives at various time but so far I have not found a suitable product.  The web based product does not suit my needs.  I'd like to be able to continue to use Microsoft Money and have the stock price updates working.

I'm happy to help with what ever is required to get the feed connected again but I've no idea who to talk to at Microsoft to get details of what may need to be changed etc (if it can be done at all).  Have you any contacts?

Friday, July 19, 2013 11:17 PM
  • Good post Dobtastic.

Clarifies things for a lot of us.

It seem to me from the research I've done so far, that unless someone can figure out your points 1. and 2., we are no longer going to get quote updates, but even worse, should we have a computer crash, unless we have converted to Sunset, we won't be able to reinstall our original Money programmes either, because the Activation facilities will no longer be available. The very reason for Sunset's introduction, I have read, is to enable us to reinstall without an Activation Key and we will need to do that after a crash, once Microsoft have completely discontinued support for all of the Money programmes.

Saturday, July 20, 2013 3:26 AM
  • For Microsoft Money, The URL are located here:

regedit -> HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Microsoft -> Investor
    In SharedStock, You have
    http : // moneycentral . msn . com / sharedstock / shstock . asp

And QuoteServerURL, you have
    http : // data . moneycentral . msn . com / Scripts / invisapi . dll

These two URLs need to be changed to something that Microsoft Money will read, Likely need to create a Program for it...
    And I can't :-(
    I'll carry on looking for a way in the meantime.

Saturday, July 20, 2013 1:03 PM
  • Good post Dobtastic.

Clarifies things for a lot of us.

It seem to me from the research I've done so far, that unless someone can figure out your points 1. and 2., we are no longer going to get quote updates, but even worse, should we have a computer crash, unless we have converted to Sunset, we won't be able to reinstall our original Money programmes either, because the Activation facilities will no longer be available. The very reason for Sunset's introduction, I have read, is to enable us to reinstall without an Activation Key and we will need to do that after a crash, once Microsoft have completely discontinued support for all of the Money programmes.

You do not need an activation key.  Older versions  never needed to be activated, so there is no problem there.  The problem is that M2005 needs an update patch and the update servers are not working.  Therefore US users of M2005 must upgrade to Sunset. 

However non US users need the patched version of Money to reinstall now or in the future.  Links to the appropriate patched versions (UK, French or International English) are included in the second Sticky in this forum:  Go to the appropriate link and download and save on external media a copy of that file which you can use for a future installation.

Download Microsoft Money Installation Files: Solve Activation and Some Other Errors

• Edited by bobjbkln Saturday, July 20, 2013 7:22 PM Fixed spacing
    Saturday, July 20, 2013 7:20 PM
  • For Microsoft Money, The URL are located here:

regedit -> HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Microsoft -> Investor
    In SharedStock, You have

And QuoteServerURL, you have

These two URLs need to be changed to something that Microsoft Money will read, Likely need to create a Program for it...
    And I can't :-(
    I'll carry on looking for a way in the meantime.

Anyone have any experience in modifying registry settings? Issomebody brave enough to attempt this?

One consideration before anyone does get stuck in, what data provider to link to?

Microsoft have a track record of providing a flaky service with very poor or no support at all, which is why we've all been discussing this for so long without getting anything back from them.

So perhaps mapping to something like Yahoo, Google or Morningstar directly might be a better solution!

• Edited by Dobtastic Monday, July 22, 2013 11:11 AM format
    Monday, July 22, 2013 9:03 AM
  • If someone could get hold of the invisapi.dll file and share it, we could possibly work on altering it and thus point MS Money to another URL, ie, Google or Yahoo.. I guess the invisapi.dll file will make MS Money update the stocks.
    Monday, July 22, 2013 10:18 AM
  • If someone could get hold of the invisapi.dll file and share it, we could possibly work on altering it and thus point MS Money to another URL, ie, Google or Yahoo.. I guess the invisapi.dll file will make MS Money update the stocks.
    Would like to help....

I have tried searching my PC for a file called "invisapi.dll" no files found although it did turn up 24 similar files that seem to refer to it.

I have the original install discs for Microsoft Money and a disc with the "QFE 2005 UK Users 1105 patch" on it.

Monday, July 22, 2013 11:33 AM
  • The 2 URLs in Regedit are:

In SharedStock

And QuoteServerURL

So the shstock.asp and invisapi.dll were on the microsoft moneycentral Server and not on our PCs.
    The only way of getting those are.... If someone in Microsoft gives them to us.. so that we can "play" with those files. :-(

Monday, July 22, 2013 4:18 PM
  • I do not think this problem of the ceasation  of stock price updates  will be resolved unless a company takes over the program and releases it in an updated format.
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 10:12 AM
  • When I reported earlier that it was working for me, it is the online Web based MSN Money Portfolio Manager (not Microsoft Money) that I was referring to, just to clear up any confusion. It is still continuing to work OK for me as of this writing. The subject of this thread and the OPs original question was about MSN Money Portfolio Manager not Microsoft Money, so any discussion of the remaining problems with Microsoft Money should probably be taken to another thread to get the proper attention it deserves. (Full disclosure: I do not use Microsoft Money. Try Quicken, been using it for over 10 ten years and love it.) Good luck!
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:15 PM
  • Microsoft Money 2005 Premium (v 14.0.125.1105 US) auto updated my fund prices on 7/22/2013, so it does appear that someone is working on this. Hopefully they will have it working without issues in the near future.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:47 PM

Would like to help....

I have tried searching my PC for a file called "invisapi.dll" no files found although it did turn up 24 similar files that seem to refer to it.

I have the original install discs for Microsoft Money and a disc with the "QFE 2005 UK Users 1105 patch" on it.

Whilst randomly searching my pc for something else, I thought I would try to look for anything relating to "invisapi.dll".

Did a search and came across a file called "invlink.xml" which was located because it contains the text "invisapi"

I opened it in notepad and found that the last part of it contained the following;

<link>
    <id>ProvError</id>
    <rooturl>moneycentral</rooturl>
    <url>banking/accounts/errorsredir.aspx?SE=1</url>
    </link>
    <link>
    <id>QuoteData</id>
    <rooturl>data</rooturl>
    <url>Scripts/invisapi.dll</url>
    </link> 
    <link>
    <id>SharedStock</id>
    <url>sharedstock/shstock.asp</url>
    </link> 
    <link>
    <id>SmallBizTools</id>
    <rootaddress>http://g.msn.co.uk</rootaddress>
    <pageid>2005_4632</pageid>
    </link>
    <link>
    <id>SmallBizFinance</id>
    <pageid>2005_4683</pageid>
    </link>
    </rootlinks>

It won't let me post the whole of what I can see in notepad as there is too much text, if it is of use to anyone trying to come up with a solution, I would be happy to share the actual .xml file

• Edited by Dobtastic Monday, July 29, 2013 3:24 PM edit
    Monday, July 29, 2013 3:24 PM

Would like to help....

Whilst randomly searching my pc for something else, I thought I would try to look for anything relating to "invisapi.dll".

Did a search and came across a file called "invlink.xml" which was located because it contains the text "invisapi"

I opened it in notepad and found that the last part of it contained the following;

<link>
    <id>ProvError</id>
    <url>banking/accounts/errorsredir.aspx?SE=1</url>
    </link>
    <link>
    <id>QuoteData</id>
    <rooturl>data</rooturl>
    <url>Scripts/invisapi.dll</url>
    </link> 
    <link>
    <id>SharedStock</id>
    <url>sharedstock/shstock.asp</url>
    </link> 
    <link>
    <id>SmallBizTools</id>
    <pageid>2005_4632</pageid>
    </link>
    <link>
    <id>SmallBizFinance</id>
    <pageid>2005_4683</pageid>
    </link>
    </rootlinks>

It won't let me post the whole of what I can see in notepad as there is too much text, if it is of use to anyone trying to come up with a solution, I would be happy to share the actual .xml file

Anybody?
    Wednesday, August 7, 2013 3:11 PM
  • I realise that the original thread title is regarding the ONLINE MSN portfolio but we

now appear to be talking about online quotes in Money (the standalone product

installed on your PC).

Regarding getting a copy of either invisapi.dll or shstock.asp and trying to change it

I think you're chasing a lost cause.

Both of those run from the server side (the shstock.asp is an Active Server Page)

and would be using unique proprietary interfaces to communicate with Money

on your PC. 

An earlier post noted the two registry entries containing the URL's. Money will

go to those URL's to start those specific routines on that server to feed the

information back to Money.

Obtaining a local copy of the code would be of no benefit (even if it could be

done).

Thursday, August 8, 2013 10:51 AM
  • I have used Money since 2005 and would not be without it. Only part of the system seems to be down. Investments in funds such as Fidelity or Investec still update. Curiously, if I add a new share, e.g. Barclays bank it not only recognises the name from the symbol it pulls down the latest price.

I am now thoroughly confused.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:13 PM
  • Portfolio Manager seems to be down again.  Saying that I need Silverlight, even though Silverlight is already loaded.  This happened after I installed the latest Windows 7 64-bit update.

Anyone else having this issue?

Also, I was hoping that Microsoft would eventually provide an export tool to get all my data out, like almost everyone else on this chat board.  Doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon.

Frustrating that they don't want to provide a more robust tool, but leave you trapped but preventing you from exporting your data.  I guess the money they get from the ads don't justify the effort required to improve the app or let its captive audience out.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 4:22 PM
  • I am having the same problem. All my records on my portfolio manager are gone. What is going on?
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 8:03 PM
  • My online MSN money portfolio manager page cannot be displayed this morning.
     Any one else having this problem?
    • Edited by m li Thursday, November 27, 2014 4:04 PM
    Thursday, November 27, 2014 4:03 PM
  • will it be fixed?
    Saturday, December 13, 2014 10:06 PM