System Restore option for the Server RRS feed

• Question

•  

While I can get my desktops restored via the special cd.

There is no option on the server to do a restore to a earlier point.

Would be great if this option was activated on the server itself aswell.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 2:01 PM

All replies

• Having a look at the HP MediaSmart Server (which is designated to run WHS) i can't see any DVD Drive. I also read that there won't be a Monitor,... output. So even if there would be a restore CD where to put it in and where to connect the screen to run the restore? Mouse and Keyboard could be connected trough USB...

Bernd

Thursday, February 22, 2007 2:23 PM
  • It seems to me, the WHS is supposed to be headless -- it's not likely you'd be installing programs, or unusual drivers which would cause the system to crash, requiring System Restore.
    Friday, February 23, 2007 1:22 AM
  • True but consider the case where your server becomes unstable due to a driver update pushed out by windows update or you accidentaly make a change that hoses the whole system. I'll bet that system restore feature would be very handy then.
    Friday, February 23, 2007 3:36 AM
  • You would think the chance of a failed system HDD would be enough of a reason for a system restore.
    Friday, February 23, 2007 5:43 AM
  • A failed system HDD can be replaced and WHS can rebuild itself by running setup in repair mode. The only data that would be lost would be anything you didn't replicate to another drive.
    Friday, February 23, 2007 7:26 PM