Peer-to-Peer Sync Issues: Possible Workaround RRS feed

• General discussion

• To all our valued customers: The Live Mesh team would like to notify you of a possible workaround for an issue with Live Mesh folders that are set up to synchronize peer-to-peer (P2P) only. If you have one or more such folders and have noticed sporadic sync behavior, or a complete failure to sync, you can try the solution below to restore normal functionality to those folders.

You will need to edit the moe.exe.config file, which can be found in the Live Mesh\GacBase folder:

On Windows Vista: %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\GacBase
         On Windows XP: %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Live Mesh\GacBase

Open that file (Notepad will work fine) and edit it to look like this:

<configuration>
           <microsoft.live.moe>
              <switches>
                <add name="VRRelayName" value="relay.data.edge.messenger.live.com"/>
              </switches>
           </microsoft.live.moe>
         </configuration>

Save the file and close it.
    4.  Right-click on the Live Mesh notifier and select Exit.
    5.  Restart Live Mesh by clicking Start, then All Programs, then Live Mesh, then Live Mesh.
    6.  Repeat these steps on each computer in your mesh.

Should you experience any problems with the steps above, please post here
     for additional support.

Thank you,
    The Live Mesh Team

Blog | Feedback

Saturday, December 13, 2008 1:28 AM

All replies

• My peer-to-peer syncing is finally working. Thanks!
    Coincidentally, the squished view of my remote computer desktop has now been corrected (when I do a remote login).
    Monday, December 15, 2008 8:38 PM
  • no luck here.   Made changes to 3 boxes on Saturday.  Let me recap my issue:

large folders/files don't sync P2P unless the machines are on the same network.  Small folders/files sync fine no matter where the machines are.

my experience after making this change on all 3 machines (box1 -- at home, box2 -- at home, box3 -- at office):

1) edited some text files on box1 in a very small directory (35 KB), files were 4 KB each. They synced to box2 and box3.

2) add mp3 (3.5 MB) to folder on box1 with about 500 mp3 files.  Total folder ~3.5 GB.  Two days later & still have only the .wlx on box3.  Box2 synced without issue.

if i take box3 home, it will sync instantly.  It's only when i'm on a different network.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 5:46 PM
  • Looks like I spoke too soon. Now having problems with squished remote view again - and still waiting for things to sync.
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 4:00 AM
  • tdatl said:

no luck here.   Made changes to 3 boxes on Saturday.  Let me recap my issue:

large folders/files don't sync P2P unless the machines are on the same network.  Small folders/files sync fine no matter where the machines are.

my experience after making this change on all 3 machines (box1 -- at home, box2 -- at home, box3 -- at office):

1) edited some text files on box1 in a very small directory (35 KB), files were 4 KB each. They synced to box2 and box3.

2) add mp3 (3.5 MB) to folder on box1 with about 500 mp3 files.  Total folder ~3.5 GB.  Two days later & still have only the .wlx on box3.  Box2 synced without issue.

if i take box3 home, it will sync instantly.  It's only when i'm on a different network.

Hi,

It sounds like we should take a look at the logs from box 3 after it has been at your office for a bit, since that sounds like the one scenario that isn't working properly for you.  Please go ahead and collect those logs when you have a chance, and open a bug through Connect (instructions are in an Announcement at the top of the forums).  If you then post the Connect Feedback ID here, I'll follow up with our developers.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 4:52 PM
  • ok, this is weird, but now it's working!

the mp3 i'd added on box1 on Sunday finally got xfrd to box3 (still at the office) within the last couple of hours.  And i added to more files to the folder here on box3 & they're already on box1 (at home).

did you guys change something on the back-end?  It's like some switch has been triggered, & it seems to be working now.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 9:06 PM
  • Seems to have solved the problem for me as well.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 3:56 PM
  • Is this something that the new version for Windows that is to be posted today should include/obviate?  Or should we still make this change?
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 12:28 AM
  • Thank the sweet baby j, it appears to be working!  Nice!
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:57 PM
  • My p2p folder stopped working last month. I was waiting for a client update. Now is it still the case to make the cange in the config file?

Thanks

Lello
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:55 PM
  • worked for me too!

and such an obvious fix!

er...
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:22 AM
  • this "fix" seems to have made it worse. It wont even sync the folders much less the files now. Anyone have any idea on what is going on. I have submitted a bug with log files.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 2:20 AM