File Syncing - the definitive word! RRS feed

• Question

• A fundamental question that I have that I can't seem to find an answer to....

I want my WHS to be the central respository for files (photos, documents) across my three PCs/laptops (all running some version of Vista).  I don't want all those PCs/laptops to have local copies of files/photos, nor do I want to mess with synchronizatino.  I just want all my local Documents\Pictures\Videos folders in Vista to actually just point to my WHS Documents\Pictures\Videos folders...   One version of the truth.

The, I can simply use something like JungleDisk to automatically have an offsite backup solution in place. 

How do I accomplish this?  I mainly see just postings using BackSync, SyncToy and a host of other "solutions" that just seem too complex to setup and seemingly defeat the purpose of having a central repository.  Specifics, please!

Help!

Thanks!

Thursday, April 10, 2008 8:13 PM

Answers

• You want to redirect your documents folders to WHS, probably to individual users' private areas?
    • Right click a user's Documents folder, which is C:\Users\<username>\Documents normally.
    • Select Properties from the popup.
    • Select the Location tab.
    • Click Move...
    • Select the folder (on your server's shares, likely \\server\<username\documents) you want to use for storage.
    • Click Apply, and agree to moving/copying files.
    Please be aware that doing this will result in users storing files that they are likely to be editing on the server. There is a known file corruption issue that affects files edited on the server; I would have to recommend against what you want to do right now. You will also have issues opening Microsoft Office (and possibly other) files if you are using a laptop with Offline files turned on (so you can have access to your files when remote from your server).
    Friday, April 11, 2008 12:43 AM

All replies

• You want to redirect your documents folders to WHS, probably to individual users' private areas?
    • Right click a user's Documents folder, which is C:\Users\<username>\Documents normally.
    • Select Properties from the popup.
    • Select the Location tab.
    • Click Move...
    • Select the folder (on your server's shares, likely \\server\<username\documents) you want to use for storage.
    • Click Apply, and agree to moving/copying files.
    Please be aware that doing this will result in users storing files that they are likely to be editing on the server. There is a known file corruption issue that affects files edited on the server; I would have to recommend against what you want to do right now. You will also have issues opening Microsoft Office (and possibly other) files if you are using a laptop with Offline files turned on (so you can have access to your files when remote from your server).
    Friday, April 11, 2008 12:43 AM
  •  

https://www.mesh.com

Hopefully this product from MS will solve all our issues...

Sunday, April 27, 2008 7:21 AM