Swapping Drives RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

Is it possible to replace a 300GB system drive with a 750GB drive using something like Acronis or Ghost? I don't want to just add the 750, I need it or the 300 to act as a NAS for my folks, but they don't need anything as big as the 750.

I was wondering if anyone has done this or if it is even possible, not knowing all the nuances of the WHS file system.

On a related note, drives removed (replaced) on client computers still show up in the Back up profile for that computers as "Not Connected". Is there any way to remove these from the profile?

Thanks,

RoyBro
    • Edited by RoyBro Wednesday, November 5, 2008 2:05 AM Related question
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 2:00 AM

Answers

• Hello,
    the cloning of primary disk in WHS is not supported and usually fails, due to disk IDs stored in the WHS configuration data.
    If you have more than one disk in your WHS, log in to your desktop, right click My Computer in start menu and select Manage.
    In disk management area check the free space.
    If D: has not near 100% free space and there is still enough space on the other disks, you can try to use the tool LZreallocator to trigger a cleaning of drive D:.
    If you have only one additional data disk and use duplicated folders, this will keep the duplicates on D: drive anyway (maybe disable duplication in this case before starting LZreallocator).
    After that is completed, disconnect the old primary disk and attach the new drive to the same position.
    Perform a server reinstall.
    This should preserve all data and it will take a while to rebuild the tombstones.
    (If a server reinstall is not offered, the things will become more difficult.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 8:17 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    the cloning of primary disk in WHS is not supported and usually fails, due to disk IDs stored in the WHS configuration data.
    If you have more than one disk in your WHS, log in to your desktop, right click My Computer in start menu and select Manage.
    In disk management area check the free space.
    If D: has not near 100% free space and there is still enough space on the other disks, you can try to use the tool LZreallocator to trigger a cleaning of drive D:.
    If you have only one additional data disk and use duplicated folders, this will keep the duplicates on D: drive anyway (maybe disable duplication in this case before starting LZreallocator).
    After that is completed, disconnect the old primary disk and attach the new drive to the same position.
    Perform a server reinstall.
    This should preserve all data and it will take a while to rebuild the tombstones.
    (If a server reinstall is not offered, the things will become more difficult.)
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 8:17 AM
  • I thought as much. I didn't think it would be as easy as I hoped. Because it will require a reinstall, I think I'll hold off a couple of days until the new gigabit NIC comes in. I might as well do both upgrades at the same time.

Thanks for the help.

Any thoughts on removing the listings for removed drives from the client computers' profiles?

RoyBro
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 6:07 PM
  • RoyBro said:

Any thoughts on removing the listings for removed drives from the client computers' profiles?

ah forgot to answer that question. A theory is, that the old drives will disappear, if the last backup which was made from them has been cleaned out from the backup database.
    Olaf

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 10:00 PM
  • I'll give it a try tonight. Although my backup plan always excluded these drives. They were video capture drives and I have the original miniDV tapes as backup.

Thanks again.
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 1:56 AM