none
Boot disk failure RRS feed

• Question

• I have just finished installing WHS on one computer. The installation went fine and the system is up and running. But: when I remove the installation DVD, the system won't boot up and I get a message saying: Boot disk failure. If the DVD is in the drive the system will boot up normally from the harddisk. The computer is based on a Asus P4PE motherboard with an Intel P4 processor at 3,2 GHz, 1 GB memory. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:56 PM

Answers

• Hi there,

How is the DVD drive connected to the computer (i.e. IDE or SATA) and if IDE is it connected as the primary master?

If so, you may need to change the cabling so that the boot hard drive is connected as master and then put the DVD drive as the secondary master. Usually, the primary IDE port is coloured differently on the motherboard but this can vary.

Otherwise, check the boot order in the CMOS and make sure that the hard drive is selected (you may need to set the hard drive as the first bootable device if something strange is going on).
    Friday, January 11, 2008 2:00 AM

All replies

• Hi there,

How is the DVD drive connected to the computer (i.e. IDE or SATA) and if IDE is it connected as the primary master?

If so, you may need to change the cabling so that the boot hard drive is connected as master and then put the DVD drive as the secondary master. Usually, the primary IDE port is coloured differently on the motherboard but this can vary.

Otherwise, check the boot order in the CMOS and make sure that the hard drive is selected (you may need to set the hard drive as the first bootable device if something strange is going on).
    Friday, January 11, 2008 2:00 AM
  • Thanks! Somehow the harddisk was not set as a bootable device in Bios. Thought I had checked it but... Smile

Friday, January 11, 2008 11:23 AM