Cannot Install WHS Connector Software on Win 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

I have been running WHS PP3 for quite some time now, without issue. I have a new laptop that I cannot get the connector software installed on, as I am getting the 'an error occurred, this operation cannot be completed at this time' message.

Here's some background:

-I have 3 other computers that are currently connected to WHS, with the backups working, and I can access the remote console.

-The new laptop is Windows 7 32bit, nothing fancy.

-I have reviewed Microsoft's "Windows Home Server Troubleshooting Connector Installation" document, and I get all the expected results, and am able to ping no problem. All other test return positive results.

-The Windows Home Server Toolkit shows that the connector software is a different version, although this may be a false positive, based on other users postings.

I would speculate that the WHS PP3 actually has pre-PP3 connector software on it, which would explain the toolkit message, but I'm not sure how that happened, or better yet, how to fix that.

Does anyone have pointers for me?

Friday, November 5, 2010 4:01 PM

Answers

• I found a solution!!!!!!!

Thanks to Big Dumb Yak who had this to say:

I encountered the same issue with my Acer Aspire easyStore H340 Windows Home Server.

To solve it I only had to add %SystemRoot%\MakeCert to my system path.

1. Log in to the Windows Home Server using Remote Desktop.
    2. Click "Start", right-click on "My Computer" and select "Properties"
    3. Click on the "Advanced" tab
    4. Click the "Environment Variables" button
    5. In the "System variables" section at the bottom of the dialog window, scroll down until you see the "Path" field
    6. Select the "Path" field and click the "Edit" button.
    7. Items in the path are separated by a ";" otherwise known as semicolon. Add the path using one of the methods below.
      ";%SystemRoot%\MakeCert" to the very end, OR
      "%SystemRoot%\MakeCert;" to the very beginning, without the "" marks.
    8. Click "OK" on the 3 windows that are open, then reboot the server.

Once the server is restarted, install the WHS Connector software on the PC, and all should be well.

original post here (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whssoftware/thread/cb6f7e5e-44a3-401b-a414-be4d931f7e14?prof=required)
    • Marked as answer by phreaq app Friday, November 19, 2010 5:23 PM
    Friday, November 19, 2010 5:23 PM

All replies

• well, I haven't gotten anywhere with this, anyone know how I can escalate this and get Microsoft personell involved?
    Monday, November 15, 2010 6:09 PM
  • I found a solution!!!!!!!

Thanks to Big Dumb Yak who had this to say:

I encountered the same issue with my Acer Aspire easyStore H340 Windows Home Server.

To solve it I only had to add %SystemRoot%\MakeCert to my system path.

1. Log in to the Windows Home Server using Remote Desktop.
    2. Click "Start", right-click on "My Computer" and select "Properties"
    3. Click on the "Advanced" tab
    4. Click the "Environment Variables" button
    5. In the "System variables" section at the bottom of the dialog window, scroll down until you see the "Path" field
    6. Select the "Path" field and click the "Edit" button.
    7. Items in the path are separated by a ";" otherwise known as semicolon. Add the path using one of the methods below.
      ";%SystemRoot%\MakeCert" to the very end, OR
      "%SystemRoot%\MakeCert;" to the very beginning, without the "" marks.
    8. Click "OK" on the 3 windows that are open, then reboot the server.

Once the server is restarted, install the WHS Connector software on the PC, and all should be well.

original post here (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whssoftware/thread/cb6f7e5e-44a3-401b-a414-be4d931f7e14?prof=required)
    • Marked as answer by phreaq app Friday, November 19, 2010 5:23 PM
    Friday, November 19, 2010 5:23 PM
  • Thank you. That solution worked for me too.

I had a problem with the connector after upgrading one on my PCs from Vista HP to Win7 Professional. After upgrading to Win7 as a fresh install the Win 7 machine was not able to install the Console Connector software - not from the install disk and not fom the software share and even not via http://severname:55000 . The setup 1) finds the server, 2) downloads all the needed software, 3) asks for the password (shows also to me the hint) but 4) then it fails - whatever password I type in, even an empty one results unchecked in “An error occurred. This operations cannot be completed at this time. Please try again later. If the problem persists...”. I found this very odd as the same PC had worked OK under Vista and my 3 other Win7 PCs had no problem either.

I tried a variety of fixes posted online to no avail and then found this one which worked. So thank you very much.
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 5:36 AM