none
Setting up a contoso.com domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm currently studying for my MCTS: Configuring and Troubleshooting Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Domain Services exam, and have my own Hyper-V lab set up for this purpose. What I'm having trouble with however, is properly setting up the contoso.com domain so I can have my VM's "seeing" each other on the virtual network. Microsoft doesn't provide any steps for this, and I would like to have it set up the same way as it's done in the classroom. How would I go about this? Do I need two network cards?

Thanks guys.

• Edited by DGH84 Saturday, February 2, 2013 4:57 PM
    Saturday, February 2, 2013 4:53 PM

Answers

• Then you are good with just one Ethernet or you don't even require one as you can assign an Internal Network Connection to your virtual machines. As long as the gateway is set to the same, the two virtual machine (Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008) will be able to communicate with each other. 

Cheers.

Regards,
    Milton Goh
    MCSE, MCSA, MCITP, MCTS, MCP
    Blog: blog.nerdytwo.com
    Twitter: @miltongoh

• Marked as answer by DGH84 Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:01 AM
    Monday, February 4, 2013 3:46 PM

All replies

• Hi DGH84,

when install Windows Server 2008 at least you need two Network cards, also in 70-640 lab there is a Server 2008 have a 3 Network Cards like "6425A-NYC-RAS"

Regards,

MCT / MCITP / MCTS / MCSA / MCSE / MCP / C|EH / CCNA

Saturday, February 2, 2013 5:33 PM
  • I don't have any way of installing additional pysical NICs so could I use a USB Ethernet network card instead. Where could I get instructions on setting up the Contoso domain for this cert exam?

Do I also need two hard drives set up for RAID?

• Edited by DGH84 Saturday, February 2, 2013 7:04 PM
    Saturday, February 2, 2013 5:50 PM
  • Anyone? I have no idea how to set up this lab.
    Monday, February 4, 2013 1:38 AM
  • Hi,

Are you setting up your own virtual machine by installing your own OS or did you use any of the pre-built VHD that was provided?

Regards,
    Milton Goh

Monday, February 4, 2013 2:04 AM
  • Installing my own OSs. Trial versions of Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 Enterprise. At the moment I only have one NIC and the PC that I'm using doesn't have enough room for additional hardware NICs so despite their slowness I'm going to buy USB NICs instead.
    Monday, February 4, 2013 1:00 PM
  • Then you are good with just one Ethernet or you don't even require one as you can assign an Internal Network Connection to your virtual machines. As long as the gateway is set to the same, the two virtual machine (Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008) will be able to communicate with each other. 

Cheers.

Regards,
    Milton Goh

• Marked as answer by DGH84 Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:01 AM
    Monday, February 4, 2013 3:46 PM
  • Is there a step by step guide somewhere on how to set up the Contoso domain as well as configuring the main DC?
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:01 AM
  • Is there a step by step guide somewhere on how to set up the Contoso domain as well as configuring the main DC?

Wait a minute, before you start buying hardware, you have virtual machines running on hyper-v or vmware (or another virtualisation platform)? If this is the case you dont need to have USB NIC's, you just need to configure your virtualised environment to use the NIC of your computer, or configure the VM's to use an internal network if you want to separate your own private network and the lab network. How this is set up, depends on what virtualisation platform you're using.
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 3:36 PM

Cheers.

Regards,
    Milton Goh

I'm sorry but that is not entirely correct. A gateway is used when two computers are in different subnets and want to communicate with eachother. If two computers are in the same subnet, you don't need a gateway for the clients to communicate with eachother.

For example, if you set PC1 to use 192.168.1.1/24 (/24 means 255.255.255.0 - this is the subnet) and PC2 to use 192.168.1.2/24 they are both in the same subnet, 192.168.1.x. If you have PC1 configured to use 192.168.1.1/24 and PC2 uses 192.168.2.1/24 you'll need a gateway because the computers are in different subnets.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 3:41 PM
  • Thank you for all the great responses. What I'm running into difficulty with is setting up DNS and DHCP (scopes, etc.) without having an actual domain in place. At first I thought I would need to buy a domain name to have the proper IP addresses in place so that I wouldn't run into any errors, but I'm just using this lab at home, so maybe using fake internal IP addresses would work? Is there a guide somewhere that could help me set up this lab? I want to set it up exactly as the one used for 6425C Configuring and Troubleshooting Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Domain Services, and the lab used in the Microsoft Certified Curriculum class that I attended a few months ago.
    Friday, February 8, 2013 1:53 AM
  • This guide explains how you can set up a domain: http://www.elmajdal.net/win2k8/setting_up_your_first_domain_controller_with_windows_server_2008.aspx

Before you start with setting up domain controllers, make sure you configure the DC's with a static IP address. After setting up the first DC, make sure you configure other computer to use the first DC as DNS server before joining them to the domain. This is because clients need to be able to resolve your domain name.

Friday, February 8, 2013 8:09 AM
  • Thanks for the great responses. I now have my first DC set up and was able to set up the contoso.com domain without any issues.

In the Microsoft class I attended there were lab files used in the exercises, and they're also listed in the book. Is there anywhere I can download these lab files? I'm trying to mimic the exact setup as the lab in the classroom.

Friday, February 15, 2013 2:06 AM
  • Great to hear that you have your first DC up and running! 

Sorry, do you mean the individual lab scenario or? 

Regards,
    Milton Goh

Friday, February 15, 2013 3:40 AM
  • Yes, the files used in the individual lab scenarios. In the book they are located under D: which Microsoft specifically uses for launching these files. When you start the lesson you would run a batch file to use a certain configuration set up specifically for that lab. Does Microsoft offer these files freely or are they proprietary with the course?
    Friday, February 15, 2013 11:14 PM
  • Sorry, I don't know whether this is the one you are looking for. This is what I was advised when I attended the classroom learning for my Windows Server 2008 R2.

I am unable to download the Microsoft Official Course Companion files from - http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/companion-moc.aspx

Please visit and see if that's what you are looking for.

Cheers.

Regards,
    Milton Goh

Saturday, February 16, 2013 2:21 AM