Backup Location change!! RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have tried time and time again to change the settings but STILL I can not get it to change from using CD's to my external hard drive or another hard drive I can plug in!!

Do I need to unistall the whole oneCare and try it again.

PLEASE HELP!!!  Smile

Email me asap or also to armoredathletes@cox.net

Thanks

Coach Chip

Thursday, July 3, 2008 6:35 PM

Answers

• David, I find it pretty odd that the plan would revert on one PC after it worked fine following the change since it is my understanding that the backup plan is saved on the server along with your PC. I recommend that you contact support for help in investigating this. I'd be interested in hearing what is learned/found.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 5:54 PM

All replies

• Try the following, Coach Chip:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

-steve

Thursday, July 3, 2008 6:39 PM
  • I have the same problem and tried what you said and the old drive designation returns as soon as I go back to back up configuration again. I got this to work once and made a backup but it reverted to the old location for the next weekly backup which failed because it is the wrng place.

The other PCs in the circle made the change without a problem, they are XP PRO, this one is Media Center.

I got in this situation because I was using a 160gb usb drive to back up all 3 of my home systems, but I could never back up the media system because there was not enough roo on the drive. So I bought a 1TB drive and moved all the backups to it and changed the systems to backup there. Of course there was no back up for the media system. It took me a while (this same issue) but I did get a full backup on the media system on the nes drive. Now onecare is trying to go back to the old drive for the weekly backup. I can get it to work if I disconnect the old USB drive from the system, but it wants to go back to the small drive if it is connected.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 1:28 PM
  • David, I find it pretty odd that the plan would revert on one PC after it worked fine following the change since it is my understanding that the backup plan is saved on the server along with your PC. I recommend that you contact support for help in investigating this. I'd be interested in hearing what is learned/found.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 5:54 PM
  • Yeah, It's odd alright. I got it to back up by physically removing the old USB drive from the system. But RIGHT NOW after a full and an incremental backup have been done,and the drive reconnected, the 'plan' still says the OLD drive!

If the backup plan is stored on the server, that's great so long as the system know WHICH server to look at.

I'll contact support.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 12:51 PM
  • Please let me know what happens with support, Dave.

-steve

Thursday, August 7, 2008 5:49 PM