Is this a safe / good way of renaming my WHS 2011 server? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I would like to rename my WHS 2011 machine, but its not as easy as I thought! A couple of threads I've read (here and here, among others) indicate that the "correct" way to do it is to reinstall server. Some threads mention stopping the Certification Authority Service and doing some registry editing (e.g. here), but I'm not too comfortable doing that.

However this thread and this one indicate that it can be done using powershell and sysinfo rename.

Please can someone (ideally from MS) advise whether this is a good / safe / sound /reliable method of changing the server name?

I've not got any clients set up on the server, so thats not a concern - I do have a large backup history I'd like not to lose access to though! I do not need to change the workgroup either, just the server name. Many thanks.

Cocksy

• Edited by Cocksy Tuesday, April 5, 2016 11:04 AM
    Tuesday, April 5, 2016 10:20 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

There is no official document about renaming Windows Home Server. 

In general, Certificate services are dependent on workgroup and the machine name, if you have been installed and configured the WHS, it is not recommended to have a changing.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 6:49 AM
  • OK, thanks Eve. Is there an easy way to backup and transfer all my settings from my current installation to a new installation? Thanks,

Cocksy

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 8:10 AM
  • Hi,

Windows Home Server is OEM version, which is tied to the hardware. Since it is an new installation on the same hardware, you should manually transfer/move data to other/external drive, after reinstallation, transfer/move the data/drive back. 

In general, we can use server restore(bare metal restore) to restore the configuration/data. Manually reconfigure the server is necessary since it is re-installation with new server name.

Note that, back up the server system before any change, it might be helpful for restoration if there is any problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 7, 2016 2:28 AM
  • Hi Eve,

I'm happy with my data during the reinstallation, my question is more about the settings for WHS and add-ins, etc. If I do a bare metal backup first, then do a fresh installation and then restore the backup over the fresh installation, will it not change the server name back to the original name?! That would kind of be a waste of time!

Can you confirm whether the bare metal restore will change the server name back to its original name, or keep the name from the fresh installation?

Cocksy

Thursday, April 7, 2016 8:24 PM
  • Hi,

Bare metal restore will restore the server to its reginal name – the one when this backup is crated. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, April 8, 2016 1:48 AM
  • Thanks Eve - that's what I thought. So is there any other way to back up my settings and apps etc so that I can restore them to a new install with the corrected server name?!

Cocksy

Friday, April 8, 2016 4:59 PM
  • Hi,

With system built-in Backup, to create a copy of all the data on your hard disk and store the data on an external storage device.

Re-built/install your HWS with new name, and restore the backup data.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, April 14, 2016 9:11 AM
  • Hi Eve, as I said earlier, I'm happy with restoring my data, its the server setup and applications that I want to move to a new installation. Is there any way to do that?

Cocksy

Thursday, April 14, 2016 7:49 PM
  • Hi,

Official KB about How to restore a Windows installation or move it to different hardware:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/249694

Main methods mentioned in above link are system restore and Bare Metal Restore (BMR), which can fully restore “the server setup and applications”, also including the server name.

So, if you want to change the server name, re-install and manually configuration might be necessary.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, April 25, 2016 3:07 AM
  • OK, thanks Eve. THat link appears to be for Windows XP and Server 2003, neither of which I'm using, so I'll just do a fresh install and start again. Thanks.

Cocksy

Monday, April 25, 2016 5:32 PM
  • Hi,

KB 249694 also can be considered as a reference for later OS version.

Is there is any update/more concerns about this problem, please don’t be hesitate to let me know.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 2:07 AM