Re-Installing a store-bought version of Windows Vista without any CD/DVD RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a PC a while back...(atleast 3 years ago) and my system has been going downhill by slowly loosing more and more ability to function.

I decided to re-install my Windows Vista...problem is...I dont have a CD that came with the PC. My version is somewhere inside my PC. I dont know if it's on the hard drive or in another place...Seems impossible for it to be anywhere else...I have a sticker on the side of the PC case that states the OS version (Vista Home Premium) and the product key. So I have those...but how to access the installation window that appeared when I first booted up my PC when I brought it home....I have no idea.

So my question is, How do I re-install my Windows Vista with out it becoming un-geniuin or w.e. it's called, or not loosing the installation files from my PC. If I format my hard drive, I'm afraid it will delete the Vista instillation files and will have to buy an actual CD. the sticker also says OEMAct. I dont know what that is either, I read sum stuff that said it's a one-time-only installation. I hope not D:

Awaiting a response,
    Max.

(also; if this is in the wrong forum, please move it, thanks :) )
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 6:31 PM

Answers

• Hi MaxDeathLore,

No, OEM versions of Windows are not a One Time install. But it can only be used on the first computer it was installed on.

All computers that come with Vista preinstalled, must come with a reinstall disk or a process to Restore Windows back to the way it was when it left the factory. Unfortunatly, each manufacturer has a different way of providing the Reinstall/Restore software, so my best suggestion would either try to find the documentation that came with the computer. It should explain how to run the reinstall/Restore process, or contact the Manufacturer for that information.  Then may even be able to send you a disk with it on it.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 7:13 PM

All replies

• Hi MaxDeathLore,

No, OEM versions of Windows are not a One Time install. But it can only be used on the first computer it was installed on.

All computers that come with Vista preinstalled, must come with a reinstall disk or a process to Restore Windows back to the way it was when it left the factory. Unfortunatly, each manufacturer has a different way of providing the Reinstall/Restore software, so my best suggestion would either try to find the documentation that came with the computer. It should explain how to run the reinstall/Restore process, or contact the Manufacturer for that information.  Then may even be able to send you a disk with it on it.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 7:13 PM
  • Oh Ok; I guess I'll look around then - Thank God I saved all the documentation.

Thanks Darin.
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 7:15 PM