Configuring remote access, windows live ID problems RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi there.

I have run into a problem when configuring remote access.  I have opened up port (TCP) 80, 443, 4125 and the WHS console reports everything is OK with the router.  Under “web site connectivity” / “domain name”, I push the setup button. Here I enter my account information for my windows live ID. This account uses my existing and old e-mail address delivered from my ISP, and i use this windows live ID to log into this forum as well. But, then I get an error message stating that I have entered the wrong e-mail address or password. I have tried a few days with the same result. Then I signed up for a free hotmail account, but the result was the same. Added info; getting trough once, with an error message as: the remote procedure call failed 800706be.

Manually logging into the respective services (windows live.com/hotmail.com) works flawlessly.  That mean: I use my e-mail address/password and log successfully into my windows live account. Entering exactly the same information into the remote access setup does not work. Does someone out there have any suggestion how to solve this?

A final note: I have the 120-day-evalutation software, but that shouldn’t stop me using the remote access function?

Thanks and regards,

Ole Martin

• Edited by OleBandole Sunday, October 5, 2008 8:40 PM
    Sunday, October 5, 2008 4:40 PM

Answers

• Hmm, maybe it is solved. I noticed that i could get it working with an passport acount with a weaker password. Then i changed my loong password to an shorter one on my windows live account, and the i could access the domain services...
    Strange?

Yes, I have confirmed this today.  After successfully set up my domain, I was also able to use the “change” button to change the domain name. This was possible using my 12 digits windows live password. Then I logged into my windows live account and changed my password to an 18 digits long (and strong) password. Using this, I could successfully log into my windows live account. But, it was not possible to change my domain name in the WHS console. I get the usual message that the password/e-mail address was wrong. Changing the password back to fewer than 12 digits and this was possible again.

Regards,

Ole Martin
    A litle bit confused...
    • Marked as answer by OleBandole Monday, October 6, 2008 5:57 PM
    • Edited by OleBandole Monday, October 6, 2008 5:59 PM
    Sunday, October 5, 2008 9:01 PM

All replies

• OleBandole said:

Hi there.

I have run into a problem when configuring remote access.  I have opened up port (TCP) 80, 443, 4125 and the WHS console reports everything is OK with the router.  Under “web site connectivity” / “domain name”, I push the setup button. Here I enter my account information for my windows live ID. This account uses my existing and old e-mail address delivered from my ISP, and i use this windows live ID to log into this forum as well. But, then I get an error message stating that I have entered the wrong e-mail address or password. I have tried a few days with the same result. Then I signed up for a free hotmail account, but the result was the same.

Manually signing up to the respective services (windows live.com/hotmail.com) works flawlessly.  Does someone out there have any suggestion how to solve this?

A final note: I have the 120-day-evalutation software, but that shouldn’t stop me using the remote access function?

Thanks and regards,

Ole Martin

It's possible the Live server is down.  This has happened before (usually on the weekends).  It will probably be working tomorrow (Monday) once people are back in the office at MS.
    Sunday, October 5, 2008 5:04 PM
  • Hmm, maybe it is solved. I noticed that i could get it working with an passport acount with a weaker password. Then i changed my loong password to an shorter one on my windows live account, and the i could access the domain services...
    Strange?

Yes, I have confirmed this today.  After successfully set up my domain, I was also able to use the “change” button to change the domain name. This was possible using my 12 digits windows live password. Then I logged into my windows live account and changed my password to an 18 digits long (and strong) password. Using this, I could successfully log into my windows live account. But, it was not possible to change my domain name in the WHS console. I get the usual message that the password/e-mail address was wrong. Changing the password back to fewer than 12 digits and this was possible again.

Regards,

Ole Martin
    A litle bit confused...
    • Marked as answer by OleBandole Monday, October 6, 2008 5:57 PM
    • Edited by OleBandole Monday, October 6, 2008 5:59 PM
    Sunday, October 5, 2008 9:01 PM