Can I reset my Product Key? RRS feed

• Question

• Reviewing similar posts I'm not sure my issue has been addressed.  I recently received a set of product recovery cd's from Lenovo for a machine I purchased from them some time ago.  I used these to reinstall the bundled software, including Windows XP Pro, on a new hard drive.  The installation has been updated and validated by WGA.  However it has come to my attention from running the MGA Diagnostic Tool - and confirmed by Lenovo tech support - that the Product Key from the recovery cd's does not match that on the COA on my machine.  Is it possible to use the Product Key Update Tool to remedy this inconsistency?  If not, is there another remedy?            Thx,       -joe
    Friday, December 3, 2010 3:38 PM

Answers

• Hello Joe714,

It is perfectly normal and expected for an XP installation that was done with the factory recovery partition or in your case the factory recovery discs to have the manufacturer's XP OEM SLP product key as the installed product key.  Consider the fact that every Lenovo/IBM computer that was ever made and shipped by Lenovo/IBM with XP Pro as the factory-supplied Operating System would have also had that same product key installed.

There is really no need to bother to change it, as there is nothing wrong with the way it is.  If it were me, I would just leave it alone.

Having written the above, it is my understanding that if you run the Product Key updater and enter the PK on the CoA into the Updater, it will indeed change the installed PK from the OEM SLP PK to the CoA PK that you enter.  You will likely be required to activate this new Product Key by selecting Telephonic Activation in the Activation Wizard.

Friday, December 3, 2010 11:34 PM

All replies

• Hello Joe714,

It is perfectly normal and expected for an XP installation that was done with the factory recovery partition or in your case the factory recovery discs to have the manufacturer's XP OEM SLP product key as the installed product key.  Consider the fact that every Lenovo/IBM computer that was ever made and shipped by Lenovo/IBM with XP Pro as the factory-supplied Operating System would have also had that same product key installed.

There is really no need to bother to change it, as there is nothing wrong with the way it is.  If it were me, I would just leave it alone.

Having written the above, it is my understanding that if you run the Product Key updater and enter the PK on the CoA into the Updater, it will indeed change the installed PK from the OEM SLP PK to the CoA PK that you enter.  You will likely be required to activate this new Product Key by selecting Telephonic Activation in the Activation Wizard.

Friday, December 3, 2010 11:34 PM
  • Thanks Dan.  Actually the reason I want to reset the product key is that I would like to do a clean install of Windows without all the other bundled software that Lenovo insists on supplying.  The only way I'm aware of to accomplish that short of buying another copy of the install disk with license is to make my own installation disk utilizing the i386 folder from the current installation.  In order to do that though it's necessary that I know the product key, which is not currently the case. Anything terribly wrong with that analysis or do you have a suggestion as to how I might better proceed, other of course than simply using Add/Remove Programs in a rather heavy handed manner?  
    Saturday, December 4, 2010 1:03 AM
  • "Joe714" wrote in message news:9c728740-8548-4dbd-8f81-985f1c56129c...
    Thanks Dan.  Actually the reason I want to reset the product key is that I would like to do a clean install of Windows without all the other bundled software that Lenovo insists on supplying.  The only way I'm aware of to accomplish that short of buying another copy of the install disk with license is to make my own installation disk utilizing the i386 folder from the current installation.  In order to do that though it's necessary that I know the product key, which is not currently the case. Anything terribly wrong with that analysis or do you have a suggestion as to how I might better proceed, other of course than simply using Add/Remove Programs in a rather heavy handed manner?  

Check your manuals - some manufacturers have a recovery option to only install the OS, without the fluffware.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, December 4, 2010 8:51 AM
  • "Check your manuals - some manufacturers have a recovery option to only install the OS, without the fluffware."

"Fluffware,"  I do like that.   Anyway, I went ahead last evening and backed up the hdd and ran the update tool without a hitch.   The diagnostic tool report comes up clean.  Even appears that I won't have to reactivate or revalidate this installation.  Maybe that due to this machine having been previously run with the COA key...

Would it were the case they offered the OS only install option but no such luck.  ;(

Wonder why I'm not being notified of posts to this thread..?

Saturday, December 4, 2010 3:37 PM
  • "Wonder why I'm not being notified of posts to this thread..?"

They'll come through eventually (probably! <g>), assuming you have the correct email address in your profile settings - sometimes the servers suffer from bottlenecks and the emails get backed up (or lost).

Saturday, December 4, 2010 3:46 PM
  • Humbug!  This is beginning to look like a real catch-22.  I made an XP installation disk that seemed to be functioning normally until it came to entering the Product Key.  Even after running the update tool it wouldn't accept the product key on the COA, even though the MGA diagnostic report lists this as the current key.  I probably should have puzzled this out for myself before putting myself through this little exercise.  Apparently the Key update doesn't include changing the I386 folder entry which I believe is crucial to the creation of a valid installation disk.  I don't suppose MS has a tool that addresses this little issue..   Nah, that's way too much to hope for..          :((
    Saturday, December 4, 2010 7:46 PM
  • Sure wish I'd taken better care to preserve the i386 folder that was on the machine when I received it from IBM.  :(
    Saturday, December 4, 2010 7:50 PM
  • Update:

Once I figured out where to look, I found the product key that's listed in the install cd.  It's the key, complete this time unlike that in the MGA report, that was included with the recovery cd's I recently received from Lenovo. Assuming this key will allow me to do the clean install of xp for which I lust, are there likely to be any issues with activating or validating this installation.  

Saturday, December 4, 2010 8:08 PM
  • "Joe714" wrote in message news:4b0fab99-4ea7-4e50-9f92-48932a4e6235...

Update:

Once I figured out where to look, I found the product key that's listed in the install cd.  It's the key, complete this time unlike that in the MGA report, that was included with the recovery cd's I recently received from Lenovo. Assuming this key will allow me to do the clean install of xp for which I lust, are there likely to be any issues with activating or validating this installation.  

The Key 'in the install CD' is likely to be either the OEM_SLP key, or a Keyless Install key, depending on whether it's

An MGA report included with the Recovery CD? - that's unheard of in my experience, and worthless anyhow, since a report is only valid on a particular machine at a particular point in time

You've already been told that  you can use either the recovery system to reinstall, or an OEM disk with the COA Key. What more do you need?
    I don't know what you're talking about when you say "Key update doesn't include changing the I386 folder entry which I believe is crucial to the creation of a valid installation disk" - nothing in that folder is changed by any part of the activation system, AFAIK - and it doesn't need to. If you created the disk from an installed system, then you are going to have problems with it - it's far better to slipstream it from an original disk.

--

Sunday, December 5, 2010 3:34 PM