Unable to Mount Backup at 6% RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and WHS with Power Pack 3 (HP 470). At first I was able to open my Backups and view the folders (never looked at any files) but after viewing 3 different backups on the 4th attempt and every subsequent attempt I get a message the the backup cannot be mounted at the 6% opening point. When this occured I had the PRERELEASE version of PP3 installed although Resources indicated PP2. I uninstalled this version and via Windows Update installed PP3 proper. Still get the message that Backups cannot be mounted.

Any solutions?

Steve
    Friday, February 12, 2010 3:52 AM

Answers

• The answer came from Mark Moon and is as follows:-

Vote As Helpful

Your restore driver may need to be reinstalled. Please give this a try:

1. Launch the Console from the home computer having the problem > go to Computers & Backup
    2. Select any home computer from the list that has backups > click View Backups
    3. On the home computer, click Start > Right-click My Computer > select Manage > click Device Manager > expand the System Devices tree
    4. From the Console, select a backup from the list and click Open > if there are multiple volumes select one and click Open
    5. The System Devices tree will refresh during this process > identify a listing for 'Home Server Restore Driver' or 'Home Server Restore Driver 2' > right-click the instance of the restore driver and select Uninstall > click OK on the Confirm Device Removal dialogue that will appear
    6. An 'Open Backup' dialogue will appear that states 'Cannot connect to the backup service on the server. Verify that all services are running.' > click OK
    7. NOTE: If you are prompted to restart your home computer, click Do Not Restart.
    8. In the home server Console, click the Open button again > the process will relaunch and reinstall the Home Server Restore Driver
    9. Opening backups should now be successful
    • Marked as answer by Steve Kay Saturday, February 13, 2010 9:23 PM
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 9:23 PM
  • I found the solution in this forum but cannot locate it again to point to it from this reply. To answer your question I am running Upgrade version of Win 7 Pro and not a Beta. The advice I followed was with regard to entries in the System Devices section of Device Manager on my PC. The entries in question were "Home Server ?????? 2" and once deleted and with a PC reboot all is working very well.  I assume that these entries occurred each time the process failed and started to occur due to my useing the Beta of PP3 for WHS. Once I deleted this version and then upgraded to the full release, got rid of the entries in Device Manager on my PC and rebooted all is well with the world.

Thanks for the reply and I will search for the solution I found and reply again.

Steve
    • Marked as answer by Steve Kay Saturday, February 13, 2010 9:21 PM
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 9:19 PM

All replies

• I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and WHS with Power Pack 3 (HP 470). At first I was able to open my Backups and view the folders (never looked at any files) but after viewing 3 different backups on the 4th attempt and every subsequent attempt I get a message the the backup cannot be mounted at the 6% opening point. When this occured I had the PRERELEASE version of PP3 installed although Resources indicated PP2. I uninstalled this version and via Windows Update installed PP3 proper. Still get the message that Backups cannot be mounted.

Any solutions?

Steve
    Can you mount the backups from another client?  Have you tried rebooting the client?
    Friday, February 12, 2010 4:58 AM
  • Hi,

Just to be sure are you are not using a Beta of Windows 7?

Thanks,
    Al
    --
    Friday, February 12, 2010 2:19 PM
  • I found the solution in this forum but cannot locate it again to point to it from this reply. To answer your question I am running Upgrade version of Win 7 Pro and not a Beta. The advice I followed was with regard to entries in the System Devices section of Device Manager on my PC. The entries in question were "Home Server ?????? 2" and once deleted and with a PC reboot all is working very well.  I assume that these entries occurred each time the process failed and started to occur due to my useing the Beta of PP3 for WHS. Once I deleted this version and then upgraded to the full release, got rid of the entries in Device Manager on my PC and rebooted all is well with the world.

Thanks for the reply and I will search for the solution I found and reply again.

Steve
    • Marked as answer by Steve Kay Saturday, February 13, 2010 9:21 PM
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 9:19 PM
  • The answer came from Mark Moon and is as follows:-

Vote As Helpful

Your restore driver may need to be reinstalled. Please give this a try:

1. Launch the Console from the home computer having the problem > go to Computers & Backup
    2. Select any home computer from the list that has backups > click View Backups
    3. On the home computer, click Start > Right-click My Computer > select Manage > click Device Manager > expand the System Devices tree
    4. From the Console, select a backup from the list and click Open > if there are multiple volumes select one and click Open
    5. The System Devices tree will refresh during this process > identify a listing for 'Home Server Restore Driver' or 'Home Server Restore Driver 2' > right-click the instance of the restore driver and select Uninstall > click OK on the Confirm Device Removal dialogue that will appear
    6. An 'Open Backup' dialogue will appear that states 'Cannot connect to the backup service on the server. Verify that all services are running.' > click OK
    7. NOTE: If you are prompted to restart your home computer, click Do Not Restart.
    8. In the home server Console, click the Open button again > the process will relaunch and reinstall the Home Server Restore Driver
    9. Opening backups should now be successful
    • Marked as answer by Steve Kay Saturday, February 13, 2010 9:23 PM
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 9:23 PM