Need to change my MOTHERBOARD/CPU, WHS RRS feed

• Question

• What's the best way to do this??  I cannot lose the data on the two storage disks.  I've read many posts on the server reinstall option but most cannot add them back to the pool without losing the data?  It appears as though I can copy the contents from the storage disks, add them to the pool and copy the data back (other posts I've read), can this be done at the server terminal (ie instead of a remote connection).  Also, since there are multiple computers/users in my place that have their own individual files, how do they get restored?
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 4:48 PM

All replies

• If you change your motherboard, cpu and this includes your Network Card you may need to reactivate Windows and it may fail as Windows Home Server has detected too many hardware changes.  If all is well in that area, so long as you add your system drive to the first hard disk controller as before you should be able to do a server recovery - if it doesn't see your disk stop there.  Most people who had problems just blindly went on thinking it would be okay.  I say again if at the server recovery stage you don't see your old drive configuration then stop.

If that doesn't work you can put your drives back into your old system and turn on duplication.  Then you can install a new server installation with one disk and later add the second disk and copy the data across - or do this with the second disk connecting to a client PC and copy the data over the network.

Really if you can't afford to loss the data on the storage disks then you should have a secondary backup scheme in place.

Working from the physical console (server terminal as you say) is not supported but so long as you are very careful as to what you do (i.e. limit to yourself to what you would normally do in the console bar a few excpetions) then you should be safe enough.  For safety though you should copy data from E:\ (if you add the second data drive as a backup drive without formatting) to \\localhost\shares if you go this route.

--
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 5:11 PM
  • What's the best way to do this??  I cannot lose the data on the two storage disks.  I've read many posts on the server reinstall option but most cannot add them back to the pool without losing the data?  It appears as though I can copy the contents from the storage disks, add them to the pool and copy the data back (other posts I've read), can this be done at the server terminal (ie instead of a remote connection).  Also, since there are multiple computers/users in my place that have their own individual files, how do they get restored?

Here are a couple FAQ posts that should give you more details regarding Server Reinstallation and recovering data manually.

Also, technically speaking, you are not allowed to upgrade your motherboard and use the same OEM license (as the license is tied to the motherboard).  MS could block you from activating a second time (although I've never of heard of them actually doing that).

Saturday, March 27, 2010 7:07 PM
  • The best way? You replace them, connect your disks, and try to boot. Probably your server bluescreens. In that case, make sure your system disk is the one that the BIOS will present first (master on the primary IDE channel if you have multiple IDE disks, IDE before SATA if you have both, port 0/1 for SATA) and perform a server recovery. The recovery process is described sketchily here . Please read that FAQ and pay attention to what it tells you about drives and drivers, and about the options that you should see. It's important.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 2:35 AM
  • Thanks to all of you who repsonded.  I successfully changed out the motherboard and cpu today, without a hitch.  All data is intact, and available for use.  I sure appreciate your help!!

Monday, March 29, 2010 1:15 AM