Want to change Primary drive, data will not move off primary drive for me to be able to change and reinstall. RRS feed

• Question

• Home made server, 7 HDs, varying from 400-500GB each, total size of server 3TB, free space only 260GB. Purchased 2 x 1.5TB drives, one as a new Primary disk, other to add to the storage pool. Current Primary disk is 400GB, and as there is only 260GB free space remaining, there must be data on the Primary disk as well.

Added 1 of the 1.5TB drives to the storage pool using the "Add a Disk" Wizard. The "Server Storage" tab on the console updated the total size of the server as 4.37TB, and Free Space increased to 1.6TB. 

Also installed the Windows Home Server Disk Management Add-In (created by Sam Wood) to ensure data had moved off the primary drive, before removing it and reinstalling WHS on the other 1.5TB drive. But two days later, the console showed the primary drive had decreased in free space (due to moving more files onto the server), but the 1.5TB drive had nothing on it. Have removed and re-added the 1.5TB drive, left it for a few days, and still no change. 

Is there anyway to move all data from the primary drive so I can change it and reinstall the OS?
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 6:42 AM

Answers

• No, but I don't think there's any need to remove the system disk either. Connect one of your new drives and add it to the storage pool (which you've already done), then remove one of your other drives from the storage pool, replace it with the other new disk, and add that.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, January 16, 2010 7:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by dfg3019 Sunday, January 17, 2010 8:00 PM
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 2:27 PM
  • The supported answer would be to turn duplication on for all shares, wait a few hours, then replace the drive and use the recovery/reinstallation option in setup, instead of the new installation option. You may lose backups, and will have to reconfigure users, reinstall add-ins, etc.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 3:40 PM
  • The system disk is 5-6 years old. I may be paranoid, but thought that, and reading elsewhere that the primary drive should be the largest available, that now would be a good time as any to do so. Thanks for the reply.
    In addition to Ken's reply, the whole "primary drive should be largest available" is a thing of the past (that was pre-Power Pack 1).  It no longer applies because the "landing zone concept" is no longer used.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:26 PM

All replies

• No, but I don't think there's any need to remove the system disk either. Connect one of your new drives and add it to the storage pool (which you've already done), then remove one of your other drives from the storage pool, replace it with the other new disk, and add that.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, January 16, 2010 7:48 PM
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 2:27 PM
  • The system disk is 5-6 years old. I may be paranoid, but thought that, and reading elsewhere that the primary drive should be the largest available, that now would be a good time as any to do so. Thanks for the reply.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 1:32 PM
  • The supported answer would be to turn duplication on for all shares, wait a few hours, then replace the drive and use the recovery/reinstallation option in setup, instead of the new installation option. You may lose backups, and will have to reconfigure users, reinstall add-ins, etc.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 3:40 PM
    In addition to Ken's reply, the whole "primary drive should be largest available" is a thing of the past (that was pre-Power Pack 1).  It no longer applies because the "landing zone concept" is no longer used.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:26 PM
  • Thank you both for your help.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 8:00 PM