Windows Home Server Product future RRS feed

• Question

• I am meeting with a guy that has a small nonprofit and needs a reliable way to store info, access it from anywhere in the world, and backup the three or four PC's they use in the home office. I love my WHS and was going to recommend it for his situation. Looking on Amazon to buy it, though, I noticed that they list "Manufacture discontinued". On Tiger Direct they list "currently unavailable. Does anyone know if the product is being discontinued?  The MS store doesn't sell it but does sell several hardware servers that use it.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 9:42 PM

Answers

• I understand that Microsoft is refreshing the media with Power Pack 3. I would expect supplies of the old media to be discontinued, with a new SKU available as soon as new media hits the channel.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 10:22 PM

All replies

• I understand that Microsoft is refreshing the media with Power Pack 3. I would expect supplies of the old media to be discontinued, with a new SKU available as soon as new media hits the channel.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 10:22 PM
  • Thanks!
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 10:30 PM
  • Just bought one (Part No CCQ-00061) from Amazon UK . Found 2 other outlets that showed it as in stock.

Despite the package label showing a build date of 11-9-09 the software is integrated only to Power Pack 1.
    Not to worry, it may be old but there is plenty of it! - DVD and 3 CDs! haha!

What's the chance that they will now issue the refreshed media tomorrow?

David

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 3:48 PM
  • What's the chance that they will now issue the refreshed media tomorrow?

Other than convenience, it doesn't really matter. If you build a WHS and turn on autoupdate, it will eventually get to PP3 on its own. You can do the same by running update manually through settings. Do it repeatedly until nothing else downloads.

I saw some forum message subjects here to the effect that PP3 is not available on download. I got mine from there. If there's a problem, it's probably temporary.

Chris
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 1:58 AM
  • As you say it's a question of convenience.

I did the install with AutoUpdate turned off so that I could check out the initial hardware status and do the inevitable driver updates. Following that a manually started update from PP1 to PP2 was 77 updates. I then used Autoupdate to finish off with PP3 and anything else so I don't know how many that took.

Sure it all works but it is not really very clever.

David

ps  I still like it!

Thursday, December 3, 2009 1:01 PM
  • I am meeting with a guy that has a small nonprofit and needs a reliable way to store info, access it from anywhere in the world, and backup the three or four PC's they use in the home office. I love my WHS and was going to recommend it for his situation. Looking on Amazon to buy it, though, I noticed that they list "Manufacture discontinued". On Tiger Direct they list "currently unavailable. Does anyone know if the product is being discontinued?  The MS store doesn't sell it but does sell several hardware servers that use it.

I am not sure what the status of pre-built Windows Home Server machines are, but I know I seen a few on TigerDirect.  But most of them didn't have the CPU power that I was looking for.  So I built my own machine and purchase WHS OEM separately.

After searching and searching, and no one selling the OEM version, I finally came across a forum thread that said that only MS was allowing only one distributor the latest WHS (OEM) with PP3... and that was Newegg.com.  *shrug*  Don't ask me why.. but that is were I purchased mine.  And of course they have a few pre-built machines.. but I may warn you, those pre-built machines are neat and cute.. they are very limited and not easy to upgrade... they come with cheap, slow CPU's and cheap drives.  I recommend you build your own... BUT caution... find a man ufacturer or motherboard that support WHS... cause I got a nice Gigabyte AMD board... but the built-in graphics drivers are not supported for the WHS and AMD refuses to support it!  Good luck and I hope this helps some...

Friday, December 4, 2009 1:13 PM
  • I am not sure about where you are at with your m/c. Hopefiully it is running as the intial install should work with any VGA compatible graphics - which presumably yours is?

Once at the first install stage (or any time later) it should be possible to load your specific drivers which would have been provided as part of your mobo purchase.

My own homebuilt server uses a DFI mobo with nF4 chip but AMD/ATI graphics card. The install went as outlined above.

Good luck
    David
    Friday, December 4, 2009 3:21 PM