Sync options RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Currently I have an SQL 2005 database publisher that replicates to either an MSDN 2000 or SQL express 2008 subscribers.

I will soon be adding a new embedded end device that exposes a few methods for updating data on it.

I plan to have a service that will sync all the devices but I  was after some suggestions on the most appropriate technologies, ie MS Sync services or alike.

I have no control of the end device other than the exposed methods, the sync will be running over a WAN so I need to consider them as occasionally connected/disconnected devices.

Many thanks

Craig 

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• which direction do you need the sync for? upload only? download? bidirectional.

Sync Framework synchronization requires "providers" that connects to the data stores to track, enumerate and apply changes.

In the case of databases, it has providers for Sql Ce, Sql Server/Express and Sql Azure.

To answer your question regarding device sync, you will have to build a custom provider to work  with the API exposed by your device store.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 11:03 AM
  • Many thanks for the reply.

The direction will be one way, from the SQL server to the end device.

Do you think Sync services is the correct technology or can you think of anything else?

Many thanks

Craig 

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 11:24 AM
  • if its from Sql Server to the end device, you might want to just use Sql Change Tracking, select the changes yourself and sync with the device.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 12:03 PM
  • I would love to but i only have SQL 2005 and i beleive this is a feature of 2008?
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 12:05 PM
  • you're right. i thought your source was the 2005 that you mentioned above.

in any case, you can follow the steps here to enable custom change tracking: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc305973.aspx

you should be able to retrieve what has been added, changed or deleted.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 12:35 PM