none
better communication - add a way for moderatores to ask technical questions of the users RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

I know that we have to watch out for privacy on the forums, and can’t make the users’ email addresses viewable, even to the moderators. But if we had an option where we could have the website send mail to the users (from moderators only) asking additional clarification on an issue, it would really help. The user would have the option of ignoring that or replying. It would be all automated, so nobody human would see their personal information. It would be limited to moderators, so the users couldn’t get spam.

Thanks
    Anita Oakley

Friday, August 1, 2008 9:48 PM

All replies

• I don't see the point of this.

The e-mail wouldn't have a return address (if I had I wouldn't use the function!!) so the only place the user could reply with extra information would be the forum thread itself.

If he/she's asked the question in the forum, he/she should be following the thread anyway, so posting a request for more information *in the thread* should have the same effect.

If he/she is too lazy to follow his/her own thread, why should we encourage laziness by sending him/her an e-mail ??

Saturday, August 2, 2008 7:25 PM
  • We've talked about implementing a private messaging system. Would this acheive what you were looking for?
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Monday, August 4, 2008 5:58 PM
  •  Sending an email to the user is, in my opinion, redundant. The user can set the "Alert me" option to the threads they want to get follow-ups in the Inbox.  
    Lucian Baciu, MCTS, http://studentclub.ro/lucians_weblog
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 10:22 AM
  • Of course, if people really wanted to be contacted by email, they would have made their email address public in the My Profile page.

So, this issue is just about users who want to be contacted by moderators but no-one else.

Oh, wait... the old forums system had a "Display Email" in the profile but the new one does not.
    • Edited by Jason Kresowaty Saturday, August 16, 2008 3:46 PM Add info about Display Email not being in profile
    Saturday, August 16, 2008 3:43 PM