Windows XP Home edition RRS feed

• Question

• My Sister-in-law has had the same computer for several years with no issues.  OS has not been reinstalled, but a short time ago she began getting the "You may be a victim of software counterfeiting.  This copy of Windows did not pass the Genuine Microsoft software validation test"  All I want to know at this time is why was it ok for years and all of a sudden these messages appear?  What changed?  At what point did Microsoft decide to do this?  She purchased her computer with software installed from Best Buy??  I would like to think that Best Buy installed correctly.....Just trying to understand.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 10:10 PM

Answers

•   At this point I can't answer your question because I do not know if the issue is being caused by damage to Windows (maybe from a Virus or Hardware issue) or if the Windows is actually Non-Genuine.

Please have your Sister-in-law download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread.  Once we have that information we should be able to answer your questions and most likely give you a fix to resolve the issue.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 10:32 PM

All replies

•   At this point I can't answer your question because I do not know if the issue is being caused by damage to Windows (maybe from a Virus or Hardware issue) or if the Windows is actually Non-Genuine.

Please have your Sister-in-law download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread.  Once we have that information we should be able to answer your questions and most likely give you a fix to resolve the issue.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 10:32 PM
  • No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Monday, December 5, 2011 8:09 PM