What gets backed up? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm thinking about buying WHS to install on a spare desktop I have at home and can't find any obvious information about what gets backed up.

Once stuff is backed up, are future backups differential, incremental or full backups?

If it's a full backup, does the next backup delete the previous one to save space?

Does it back up folders and files, or create an image?

Thanks
    Monday, July 7, 2008 8:04 PM

Answers

• Richie,

All the information you need, is available through the Documentation available here or here.

In essence though, all information of your Clients, apart from things like temp files etc are backed up, (unless you manually change the selection). If any particular file, either data or system, appears on more than one Client, then only one copy of the file is stored and a pointer to the other location is added, (this is known as 'Single Instance Storage').

On subsequent backups, only changes from the previous backup are stored.

However, when you need to do a recovery, you only need to choose the latest backup, and WHS will take care of organising which files are needed.

Do note that if you aren't using new hardware, that WHS, being based on Sever 2003, needs Server 2003 drivers for installation.

Colin

Monday, July 7, 2008 8:19 PM

All replies

• Richie,

All the information you need, is available through the Documentation available here or here.

In essence though, all information of your Clients, apart from things like temp files etc are backed up, (unless you manually change the selection). If any particular file, either data or system, appears on more than one Client, then only one copy of the file is stored and a pointer to the other location is added, (this is known as 'Single Instance Storage').

On subsequent backups, only changes from the previous backup are stored.

However, when you need to do a recovery, you only need to choose the latest backup, and WHS will take care of organising which files are needed.

Do note that if you aren't using new hardware, that WHS, being based on Sever 2003, needs Server 2003 drivers for installation.

Colin

Monday, July 7, 2008 8:19 PM
  • Thnaks for the prompt reply. So it sounds like an incremental backup of sorts then.

I might just buy it to have a play around with anyway.

The desktop isn't that old, although it's a cheap ASRock motherboard so Server drivers may not be available.

Just another question though, does WHS offer much more than something like a Buffalo NAS that has integrated RAID-1, ftp or web access, print server, shared folders, group and user accouts to set different permissions, all for around £190 for 2 x 500GB hard drives?
    Monday, July 7, 2008 8:24 PM
  • If you want to repurpose old hardware the best thing to do is get hold of the evaluation verison to test your hardware.  I have yet to find a piece of standardish hardware that i can't run on WHS, most of the time you can force it to use WinXP 32bit drivers and it'll work fine.  Chances are that the default microsoft drivers on the install dvd may work fine anyway. 

The NAS devices can;t do the bare metal recovery that WHS can do (none that i'm aware of anyway).  Also the add-in structure of WHS means that most tasks can be done with the use of a new add-in.  I run Orb on mine to transcode video to flash so i can watch my videos on the road.  I doubt there is a NAS can do that. 

Basically if you just want storage then a NAS is probably best, if you want more eg backup etc then WHS is excellent.
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 1:02 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

I guessed maybe XP drivers might work. I think I'll bite the bullet and buy it to have a play around.

I'll probably be back
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 9:22 PM