Remote Website Access from Application RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi !

It is possible to access the Remote Website from a Apllication(from the Internet) and read for Example the shared folders?

Pseudo

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 7:29 AM

Answers

• Yes. The Remote Access web site is just a web site (abeit secured), so you can use the same techniques you would use on any other web site: knowledge of the way the site works, screen scraping, etc.
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 12:06 PM

All replies

• Yes. The Remote Access web site is just a web site (abeit secured), so you can use the same techniques you would use on any other web site: knowledge of the way the site works, screen scraping, etc.
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 12:06 PM
  • Can you proivde a link to any docs or info on how to do this for a homeserver?

I am looking at producing a device (windows mobile) side application which can back up the device to a share on the homeserver.

Any pointers would be helpful.

m@

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 2:41 AM
  • This Google search will lead you to more than you ever wanted to know aobut HTML screen scraping. However, the OP was asking about reading the screen not uploading files to the web site. Uploading files will require you to figure out the appropriate parameters to send a file. And backing up a Windows Mobile device is nore than just sending a file or two. I wish you luck with your project, though; there have been a number of people who have expressed interest in being able to back up various portable devices directly to WHS.
    Wednesday, November 7, 2007 3:55 AM
  • You might try getting the sourcecode to the app I wrote called HomeBase.  This idea of backing up mobile to the server was something that I was working on.  I ran into some major device problems when I tried to do it-- Why you ask:

1.  You must use Visual Studio 2005 to develop add-ins to windows home server.  Visual Studio 2005 doesn't play well with DIME attachments.  Windows mobile only does DIME (unless I am mistaken).

2.  I found that passing the data as byte arrays was too slow, and then I ran into a rather interesting (what I assumed limitation) that if the byte array was larger than 100bytes it suddenly would cause an exception.  I never went much deeper into this since I was writing it on a rather rigid deadline to get it into the Code 2 Fame contest. 

I am thinking about integrating this into a later version of Home Base,  but if you are inclined to try to do this on your own and now, you are more than welcome to download the source code and start hacking it to see if you can get it to work.  I am thinking that I even left in the WebServices required for doing the Byte[] method of uploading.  In any event, the Web Services provided by Home Base would provide a basic way to interact with the share folders and most of the functionality of the remote site.

Another idea-- If you don't want to use my source code or my webservices--- the remote sites themselves appear to be just a wrapper over a DLL that contains all the methods that control uploads, downloads, server data, etc.  I had toyed with just using those instead of re-implementing them, but thought I would get dinged for using a non-standard SDK (or rather one that isnt't documented).  You can use reflector to get a very basic SDK to work with. 

Anyways, if you are interested in working with Home Base, just get the source code from sourceforge.net (http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/whs-homebase). 

Hopefully you can get in and help me to make this program even more cool than it already is.

Thanks,

Aleksei
    (anipirakis at gmail.com )
    Sunday, November 11, 2007 1:58 PM
  • Another option (that is not quite done yet) is an add-in I've been working on that that securely opens up user specified shared folders to the web, allowing you regular HTTP(S) access to read them and WebDav (also over HTTPS) to read/write them, a pair of access methods far easier to use programmatically than screen scraping.

I've got a few more edge cases to account for, but should have a publically available build this week.

Sunday, November 11, 2007 6:30 PM